Community discussions

MikroTik App

ARKAURORA
Topic Author

Simple point to multi-point transmission

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Hello All,

I wanted to transmit a data (streaming) from a single transmitter to multiple receivers. Accordingly, I have configured the transmitter as AP & receivers as CPEs. The data is a simple video streaming & I expect all the CPEs to be receiving it without any hassle. I am using 802.11 b/g/n standards & when I try receiving the data on my CPEs the throughput in only one of them is good. In the other CPEs I have poor quality data, with the video quality being very poor. I am using Mikrotik Metal 2SHPn at all the points. I have configured & tested it in a lab, wherein all the devices are closely situated. I have also tried using NV2 & NStreme with worse results. The AP is configured as AP bridge & the CPE as station bridge. The data rate being streamed out of the AP is 3Mbps & therefore I have restricted the data rate to 12Mbps or lesser & the MCS to upto 7. I have fixed the frequency at 2437 for all the devices. I wanted to know is it because of interference that the video quality is poor or am I missing something ?

Thanks a lot for your time.

With Regards,
Avinash

haik01

Re: Simple point to multi-point transmission

Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:23 pm

What is the distance between the AP and the CPE? Is it outside? What is the RSSI on the CPE?

ARKAURORA
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:20 am

Right now we are testing it in the lab, (within 50m) . The RSSI & the CCQ at the receiver are good & respectively at below -10dBm & above 90%. Do you think this might be due to interference of the RF signals ?

With Regards,
Avinash

p3rad0x
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Drop your tx power on both ap an cpe and there should be a noticeable improvement

ARKAURORA
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:19 am

Hello,

Thanks a lot. I did that & was able to notice improvement in the lab. However we plan to deploy it in a field . In that case I will keep the power to a maximum. Also is there anything to be taken care for the MCS & the bit rate. Basically since our requirement is that a single video is transmitting to multiple receivers, can there be any other method to do this in a better way. Since right now the clients have to be connected to the AP, the bandwidth is a constraint. Can I have a scenario which will just broadcast the signals ? Or any other efficient way to do this. Thanks a lot for your time.

With Regards,
Avinash

haik01

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Consider 5 GHz version for CPE and AP. That band has less interference, more channels, and is more stable. Yes, the equipment is slightly more expensive, but you get better results for stability etc...

ARKAURORA
Topic Author

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:11 am

Hello,

Thanks a lot. However, we cannot switch to that frequency. But is there no other way in which multiple receivers can receive a video that is broadcast from a single AP. Should a multi-cast be done ? Could anyone provide me some links for this. I have gone through the manual for multi-cast, but I am unable to configure it. Thanks a lot for your time.

With Regards,
Avinash Ravi Koushik