Community discussions

MikroTik App

agfjpcs
Topic Author

QoS over mesh network? How?

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:29 am

I have a client that is using Mikrotik devices to create a roaming mesh - whereby the actual mikrotik mesh devices will continually roam around along with camera's
As a result the throughput of the mesh varies quite a lot. There are 2 types of traffic going through the mesh. One is control traffic for the actual MikroTik's themselves and the devices connected to the mesh, the other is high bandwidth video but is low priority and it really doesn't matter if it gets dropped

I need to ensure that the control traffic is given the absolute highest priority. What I can't figure out is the implementation for it, I need to ensure at least 1mbit/s is available for the control traffic, and to have video feeds use whatever else is available up to their max bitrate. The number of camera's varies throughout the mesh, but max 'expected' throughput at the receiving end for all at once is approx 30mbit/s
As the MikroTik's roam around as well its impossible to predict how much bandwidth is available at any one time, so i'm not sure how to 'reserve' 1mbit of bandwidth if the actual throughput could vary from 5mbit/s to 100mbit/s. Basically I want it that whenever there's congestion the video traffic gets scaled right back to ensure as much control traffic gets through as possible, but how? When the theoretical limit varies constantly. It's no good limiting to 5mbit/s because then it'll never use more than that when the mesh is all functioning properly. And if I set the limit at 30mbit/s then its completely useless when there's a 5mbit/s link and doesn't do any prioritisation

Help?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: QoS over mesh network? How?

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Could be implemented by using queue tree.

agfjpcs
Topic Author

Re: QoS over mesh network? How?

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:37 am

Can you explain further though? Because my understanding is you need to define some sort of maximum expected bandwidth to artificially cap the line speed. I've tried using queue trees, leaving the parent as unlimited and setting 2 queue's underneath it. I set the Control traffic queue to 1mbit max limit / limit at / priority 1, and the video traffic to 90mbit max limit / 5mbit limit at / priority 8. And it does absolutely nothing whatsoever. Can disable and enable the queue's and see no difference in packet loss on the control traffic when i'm hammering the link. Have tried using wireless, pcg and default-small queue types and none seem to make any difference