Community discussions

MikroTik App

esaym
just joined
Topic Author

WMM power save

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:19 am

I just picked up the wAP ac and running version 6.38.1. So far I am very happy with it. However I noticed that the battery on my wifi connected cell phone (Galaxy S6) is draining quicker than normal. Normally overnight I only loose about 2% battery with my old access point. Now with the wAP, I am loosing about 10 - 15% overnight. This is connected to the 5ghz wlan, haven't tried the 2.4ghz interface. I did set the WMM parameter to "required" (have also tried "enabled"), but I did not notice anything different. So is this a known issue or do I just "live with it"?

drees
just joined

Re: WMM power save

Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am

Check this thread for suggestions:

Wifi keeps mobile device awake? [keepalive packets]

Ronce
just joined

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:19 am

i have r951g and nexus 5x, with ros 6.36 and newer ros, battery drain very fast, but with ros 6.34.4 bug fix all ok.

esaym
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Check this thread for suggestions:

Wifi keeps mobile device awake? [keepalive packets]

Yes, I found some more info after I made this thread. I have turned off keepalive and set the wpa2 group key period to 1 hour. That has helped. The screen shot from the battery chart on my phone, the far left is the draw overnight from a day ago, and the far right is the draw overnight after changing the settings I mentioned:

So there is a difference, but I still think it could be better. On my old AP, it would be mostly a flat line. I think the difference is on my old AP I had the beacon interval set to 200ms and the DTIM interval set to 3. But Mikrotik doesn't allow these settings to be changed? Any reason why? I see in a radio sniff the beacon packets of Mikrotik have the DTIM set to just 1. That means at every beacon (100ms), the phone has to wake up and check if there was a multicast packet sent out. That is probably the issue. Anyone know if this is on the TODO list for Mikrotik to offer?

drees
just joined

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:37 pm

I've been fighting fast battery drain on my Nexus 5X the last week or so.

I can't completely blame MikroTik as I had been having normal battery life for the last couple months.

This is easiest to notice at night - used to be almost a flat line at night, now the battery is using 20-30% over 7-8 hours.

Here at work with a non-MikroTik WiFi router, that flat line reappears during times I'm not using the phone. I will try turning off WiFi on the phone at home overnight to see if that changes things.

What is strange is that in this latest occurrence of fast battery drain, no particular app or android service is showing up as the culprit. I have a hunch that it is Facebook...

I have a RB951G-2HnD, so 2.4 GHz, have WMM on, group-key update set to 1h and dhcp expiry set to 24h.

drees
just joined

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:13 am

Update: On a whim and after reading elsewhere, I disabled bluetooth and that seemed to fix the excessive battery drain while at home, so this recent issue of battery life doesn't necessarily appear to be related to MikroTik.