Community discussions

MikroTik App

dewitpj
Topic Author

Homepod Mini can't setup

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 am

Hi,

I have a HAPax3 and a CAP AX running in CAPsMAN for my WiFI network. I had a Homepod Mini connected to it but after a while, and not sure why, this connection broke. I have hardware reset the Homepod Mini and tried to rejoin it to my home network. Upon trying this, the Homepod Mini says that it can't find the network. The network details are sent from my iPhone (fine connection to the network)

I happen to have a spare FritzBox and if I try and configure the Homepod Mini using that network it works fine. I can even create a network on the Mikrotik solution with the same name and the Homepod joins it perfectly.

All Mikrotik's are running 7.14.2

Any hints as to where to start looking for a solution ?

Thanks !

vingjfg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Homepod Mini can't setup

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:06 am

Hi there.

I'd start by checking what wifi settings are negotiated between the pod and the fritzbox, and see whether that's available or configured on the cap/ax3.

xrlls
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:08 am

The homepod mini only supports 802.11n (https://www.apple.com/homepod-mini/specs/), so if you have configured your 2.4GHz radio to something else, e.g. followed the temptation to set it to 802.11ax, it will not work. I have seen a similar issue with other IOT devices.

marsbeetle

Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:35 pm

The homepod mini only supports 802.11n (https://www.apple.com/homepod-mini/specs/), so if you have configured your 2.4GHz radio to something else, e.g. followed the temptation to set it to 802.11ax, it will not work. I have seen a similar issue with other IOT devices.
This is not true. I have several HomePod mini's and they have no problem connecting to my hAP AX3 on the 5ghz AX channel(5500/ax/Ceee). I'm using AX on both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. In fact, it is very stable on RouterOS 7.14.2 and my music streams rarely have an issue but I do have a 120mbit FTTH connection.

I would suggest you check the authentication types and make sure you have WPA2 PSK enabled with default ciphers. Also try resetting the configuration on your HomePod mini as per https://support.apple.com/en-us/108389# ... to%20reset.

xrlls
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm

You are absolutely right! I messed up the WIFI standards. Checking it, I see that even my own HomePod Mini is connected on 5GHz.

dewitpj
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 pm

Well, this was it, but now I can't figure out how to have a single SSID, supporting both 2 and 5 GHz while setting a configuration for 2G N - any pointers on doing this in CAPsMAN ?

dewitpj
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

This is not true. I have several HomePod mini's and they have no problem connecting to my hAP AX3 on the 5ghz AX channel(5500/ax/Ceee). I'm using AX on both 2.4 and 5 ghz bands. In fact, it is very stable on RouterOS 7.14.2 and my music streams rarely have an issue but I do have a 120mbit FTTH connection.

I would suggest you check the authentication types and make sure you have WPA2 PSK enabled with default ciphers. Also try resetting the configuration on your HomePod mini as per https://support.apple.com/en-us/108389# ... to%20reset.
Did the reset and all that - the second I forced 2 Ghz to "N" it worked - I think it might be a setup thing - normal operations will go 5 GHz etc

dewitpj
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 pm

Well, this was it, but now I can't figure out how to have a single SSID, supporting both 2 and 5 GHz while setting a configuration for 2G N - any pointers on doing this in CAPsMAN ?
Sorry - I made a mistake - turns out the FritzBox network was still active and my phone was on it. I can see the HomePod join the network and then it just doesn't want to carry on with the setup...I suspect it's not a WiFi setting but rather something else...

dewitpj
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

Did the reset and all that - the second I forced 2 Ghz to "N" it worked - I think it might be a setup thing - normal operations will go 5 GHz etc
Turns out it was the FritzBox network - back to the start :(

dwnldr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:29 pm

I have a setup where components like ax3 and homepod are present. Im pretty sure, there is something wrong with your config. Can you share it ?

dewitpj
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:23 am

/interface wifi channel
add band=2ghz-n comment="2G N" disabled=no name="2G N" skip-dfs-channels=disabled width=20mhz
add band=5ghz-ax comment="5G AX" disabled=no name="5G AX" width=20/40/80mhz
add band=2ghz-ax comment="2G AX" disabled=no name="2G AX" skip-dfs-channels=disabled width=20mhz
/interface wifi datapath
add bridge=Desktop comment=Desktop disabled=no name=Desktop
add bridge=Desktop comment=Desktop disabled=no name=dp_vlan_4 vlan-id=4
add bridge=Desktop comment="R-Network" disabled=no name=dp_vlan_5 vlan-id=5
add bridge=Desktop comment="Guest Network" disabled=no name=dp_vlan_6 vlan-id=6
/interface wifi security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk,wpa3-psk connect-group=0 connect-priority=0/1 disabled=no ft=yes ft-over-ds=yes management-encryption=cmac management-protection=allowed name="hidden Security Profile"
add connect-group=0 connect-priority=0/1 disabled=no ft=yes ft-over-ds=yes name="hidden-guest Security Profile"
/interface wifi steering
add disabled=no name="hidden Steering" neighbor-group=dynamic-hidden-d5e0f661 rrm=yes wnm=yes
add disabled=no name="hidden-guest Streering" neighbor-group=dynamic-hidden-d5e0f661
/interface wifi configuration
add country="New Zealand" datapath=Desktop disabled=no mode=ap name=hidden-guest security="hidden-guest Security Profile" ssid=hidden-guest steering="hidden-guest Streering"
add country="New Zealand" datapath=Desktop disabled=no mode=ap name=hidden_2G security="hidden Security Profile" ssid=hidden steering="hidden Steering"
add country="New Zealand" datapath=Desktop disabled=no mode=ap name=hidden_5G security="hidden Security Profile" ssid=hidden steering="hidden Steering"
/interface wifi cap
set caps-man-addresses=127.0.0.1 discovery-interfaces=Desktop enabled=yes slaves-datapath=Desktop
/interface wifi capsman
set enabled=yes interfaces=Desktop package-path="" require-peer-certificate=no upgrade-policy=suggest-same-version
/interface wifi provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled comment=5GHz disabled=no master-configuration=hidden_5G slave-configurations=hidden-guest supported-bands=5ghz-ax
add action=create-dynamic-enabled comment=2GHz disabled=no master-configuration=hidden_2G slave-configurations=hidden-guest supported-bands=2ghz-n

vingjfg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:28 am

If I read this correctly, you are not setting the band 2ghz-n to your configuration. Try
/interface/wifi/configuration
set [where name=hidden_2G] channel="2G N"
//JF

dewitpj
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:05 am

If I read this correctly, you are not setting the band 2ghz-n to your configuration. Try
/interface/wifi/configuration
set [where name=hidden_2G] channel="2G N"
//JF
Sorry - that was set to "2G N" - I can see the homepod come up on wifi, get an IP, it's something after that

vingjfg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:16 am

OK. Are the Homepod and the iPhone on the same L2 network?

dewitpj
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:41 am

OK. Are the Homepod and the iPhone on the same L2 network?
They sure are :)

vingjfg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:01 pm

Good! The reason I asked is Mikrotik is notable for not repeating mDNS across subnets.

So, both the homepod and iPhone are connected to Wifi and both get an IP in the same subnet, correct?

dewitpj
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:07 pm

Good! The reason I asked is Mikrotik is notable for not repeating mDNS across subnets.

So, both the homepod and iPhone are connected to Wifi and both get an IP in the same subnet, correct?
Yip :)

vingjfg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:12 pm

Any chance you can capture some traffic?

dewitpj
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:18 pm

Any chance you can capture some traffic?
hhhhmmm, sure can - I didn't think of check that...

dewitpj
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:22 pm

I see a bunch of mDNS traffic...nothing that stands out :(

dewitpj
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:29 am

I got it working. I changed these settings on my Bridge (the one that links the WiFi and the "LAN" ports)
Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 15.27.58.png
I don't understand why they work since IGMP Snooping is off but hey - it joined the network...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dewitpj
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:31 am

(It could be that it takes a while to update...but yeah - that worked for me)

dwnldr
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:13 am

Anyways, just as an addition.
You DONT NEED to use 2.4Ghz "n" standard network settings in order to use thise devices and loose bandwith and waste your routers possibilities ! The settings in MikroTik WiFi interfaces as meant as "maximum-highest". So if you set 2.4ghz Ax 20/40Mhz, it is backward compatible with lower standard devices !
IGMP snooping saves also your WiFi bandwith in order not to flood the interfaces, however some users from different vendors had better results with Apple Home by disabling it, it is always a question (i have it ON also). Ill suggest you to let IGMP snooping on (not sure about multicast router option), set your 2.4Ghz interface to 20/40 Ax standard, 5ghz to 20/40/80 Ax, enable multicast enhance and set security to wpa2/ccmp or wpa2/wpa3. Also consider the "new" FT and FT over DS options to enable fast roaming, since now i can say it works really nice !
Those are my default settings now for a year in 3 different locations, with Ax and Ac standard MT devices, since wifiwave2 popped up. In all locations are Apple Home clients, IoT and "standard" devices present. Everything works really nice !

dewitpj
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:31 pm

You DONT NEED to use 2.4Ghz "n" standard network settings in order to use thise devices and loose bandwith and waste your routers possibilities ! The settings in MikroTik WiFi interfaces as meant as "maximum-highest". So if you set 2.4ghz Ax 20/40Mhz, it is backward compatible with lower standard devices !
Just to second this - my 2.4 Ghz was set to (and still is) "AX" when I did the setup