beepee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

DHCP MAC authentication for Users with two MAC addy

Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:31 am

Hi guys
I need help on how to handle my Wireless laptop users
They want to use wireless or wire for network access anywhere they are, but I have already configured my DHCPserver to issue out IP addy based on the MAC addy.
Now I want to dish out IP address based on MAC, same IP per laptop be it wireless or wired becos they will use the same username and passwd for hotspot authentication (username tied to MAC addreess) and I want to keep proxy log by IP.
So how can i do it such that they will get the same IP on both wireless and cable but one at a time:
Thanks in adv. :)

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: DHCP MAC authentication for Users with two MAC addy

Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:16 pm

I think user manager will do this. Mikrotik download

beepee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:33 am

User manager cannot even tie mac address to username & I dont think the rate liniting in it is actually working fine. the rate limiting has not been yeilding result.

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:51 am

The PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) protocol provides extensive user management, network management and accounting benefits to ISPs and network administrators. Currently PPPoE is used mainly by ISPs to control client connections for xDSL and cable modems as well as plain Ethernet networks. PPPoE is an extension of the standard Point to Point Protocol (PPP). The difference between them is expressed in transport method: PPPoE employs Ethernet instead of modem connection.

Generally speaking, PPPoE is used to hand out IP addresses to clients based on the user (and workstation, if desired) authentication as opposed to workstation only authentication, when static IP addresses or DHCP are used. It is adviced not to use static IP addresses or DHCP on the same interfaces as PPPoE for obvious security reasons.

MikroTik RouterOS can act as a RADIUS client - you can use a RADIUS server to authenticate PPPoE clients and use accounting for them.

A PPPoE connection is composed of a client and an access concentrator (server). The client may be any computer that has the PPPoE client protocol support installed. The MikroTik RouterOS supports both - client and access concentrator implementations of PPPoE. The PPPoE client and server work over any Ethernet level interface on the router - wireless 802.11 (Aironet, Cisco, WaveLan, Prism, Atheros), 10/100/1000 Mbit/s Ethernet, RadioLan and EoIP (Ethernet over IP tunnel). No encryption, MPPE 40bit RSA and MPPE 128bit RSA encryption is supported.

Note that when RADIUS server is authenticating a user with CHAP, MS-CHAPv1 or MS-CHAPv2, the RADIUS protocol does not use shared secret, it is used only in authentication reply. So if you have a wrong shared secret, RADIUS server will accept the request. You can use /radius monitor command to see bad-replies parameter. This value should increase whenever a client tries to connect. Hope this helps you weren't very pleased with my last comment. :?

beepee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Thankx jacoblydon
I think the PPPoE really worth giving a trial
Let mke try things out with it and see how it works.
Thanks for the sight.

jacoblydon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 pm

You are welcome!

dennyglover
just joined

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:25 am

I have a cafe a.d want to authentiata via mac add on Lan how do i config