Community discussions

MikroTik App

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Routerboard trouble...

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:58 am

My routerboard has been giving me alot of trouble lately after i messed with the bridge interface, (disabled bridging) the only reason i did that is because the wireless card did not have the R next to it like it usually does. But anyways my scenario is system lights up peeps when then beeps again later (for some reason now it takes quite a bit longer to beep the second time than it did before this problem) when i search for wireless network it lists the network, i can connect to it but i cannot acces the routerboard via winbox, nore webbox,nore acces the internet, Im not sure what happend, the Ip's should be the same.... Is there any remore thing i can do it has some type of reset button on the side of it, it is a RB 112.... I look at loacal network and im sending packets but it will not receive (meaning routerboard is not replying to my call) If all else fails there is netinstall but i dont have the serial cable yet but will shortly... any help would be very helpfull, thanks guys -Jordan

jcremin

Re: Routerboard trouble...

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:21 am

Using winbox, can you connect to it via mac address?

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:33 pm

Using winbox, can you connect to it via mac address?
No i can not, like i said its like the routerboard is not responding to me at ALL i can send all day but it will not send anything my way packets are sent but not receieved. However i can connect up to the wireless network fine ????????? but i STILL can not log into winbox nore webox.... Although under interface's just before it went haywire on me, there was no R in front of the Wlan1 so maybe that has something to do with the wireless part.... Is there Any way of remote accesing it? Like a restore to a previous time.... My serial cable is coming today so, if all else fails i needed to do a netinstall anyways. Thanks guys - Jordan

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:06 pm

I have been reading up on on netinstall, and i notice it wants to bootup on ethernet... if ethernet is not working how will it reinstall?

ALso is there anyways i can use just the serial cable to reset the entire configuration of the routerboard? because i beleive that is what is needed, Any of the fourm guru's have an idea of what to do or how to fix this? or how to correct this? how to get system settings through serial.. Like i said, wirless seems to be working it receivs and sends but i cannont do anything no internet, not winbox, no webox... notta. and all i did was disable bridging in interfaces's, or was it ether1? ....... even if i disabled ethernet wireless should still work though...... :(

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:39 pm

I too messed up my network config a few days ago. You just connect to the serial port using a crossover cable and then sort out the config from the CLI (Command Line Interface), you shouldn't need to do a full reset. Make sure you set the terminal to 9600, 8bits, no parity, 1 stop bit.

OK the CLI takes a little more brain power to master than Winbox, but it's perfectly usable to recover from mistakes made through other methods.

ilius168
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:04 pm

if you got another mt installed somewhere (RB or ROuterOS) & working, connect those two routers, then try IP Neighbor, see if the messed up router is there, then right click on it and select mac-telnet.

hope this help

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Thanks guys, i will give it a try tonight, that is when i get the serial cable. And no.. i dont have another routerboard with routeros on it...:-( Thanks -Jordan

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:24 pm

grab an old PC and install the demo on it.

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:47 am

grab an old PC and install the demo on it.
I will if i can not reset config or fix the problem, Thanks guys. = Jordan

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:09 am

Ok..... i have gotten a serial cable finally.... Now i plug it into the routerboard like it instructs me to do, and into the back of my computer, i hooked the cat 5 cable from ether1 on routerboard to the back of my computer (tried using switch but for SOME reason when i use a switch only the green light on the ethernet device blinks, only when i put it into the back of my computer does the orange ligth come on).. dosent blink just comes on, and in my previous posts i said it does not respond to my computer, it still does not. But im going to get to the point, #1 once i plug serial and ethernet cables into my computer and run netinstall, the mikrotik router does not showup in drives.. #2 I HAVE NO! Idea how to go into bios options and have it boot from ethernet???? #3 how to i hook a monitor up to my routerboard and read what it says when it boots up??? So if ANYONE can help me i would be really happy right now, i pulled out most of my hair already.... im going bald here i need someones help... this is the first "attempt" to reinstall my Router OS .... And there is much i need to learn. Please help.... -Jordan

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:15 am

With your serial cable and hooked up to the router and a network cable from ether 1 to your nic and hyperterminal configured as you noted and running, power up the router and then hit any key to enter the ROS bios. Select etherboot. Now you can FTP the ROS package to your board using ether1's address.
Did I miss anything? If my memory isn't completely gone I think this is how I did it several months ago.

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:11 pm

With your serial cable and hooked up to the router and a network cable
from ether 1 to your nic and hyperterminal configured as you noted and
running, power up the router and then hit any key to enter the ROS
bios. Select etherboot. Now you can FTP the ROS package to your board
using ether1's address.
Did I miss anything? If my memory isn't completely gone I think this is how I did it several months ago.
WHat COM port is the routerboard on it does not indicate nore show the routerboard in any of the COM ports, and remember ethernet is paralised... i beleive most of you keep thinking ethernet works on the routerboard for some reason it does not, disabled or somethign im not sure.

My question is HOW do i acces the bios via serial because ethernet is out of the question unless someone can tell me how to re-acctivate it, but for now so it seems All i have is serial, if someone could give me a step by step procedure of how to boot up the bios via serial that would be awesome. I beleive if i go into bios and tell it to reset configuration this mite fix the hole problem... I still wish to do a netinstall but first i need to get ether1 running. HELP!! -Jordan

P.S I thought letting you know what type of serial cable i had mite help, I have a Rs-232C cable from radio shack 9 pin of course female to female, says its shielded and grounded to prevent interference. And that is all the infromation i have on the serial cable, It plugs into the back of my computer and the routerboard fine? Just thought it mite help.

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:40 am

Set up Hyperterminal for a new connection using whatever Com port you want (no dialup #), 9600 , 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. With Hyperterminal configured and running and the serial cable connected, power on the router. Hit any key within 2 seconds to enter the bios after MikroTik appears.

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:33 am

Set up Hyperterminal for a new connection using whatever Com port you want (no dialup #), 9600 , 8 bits, no parity, 1 stop bit. With Hyperterminal configured and running and the serial cable connected, power on the router. Hit any key within 2 seconds to enter the bios after MikroTik appears.
Yep. I tried that, i was able to get ahold of this very good web page and description of how to reinstall router OS this is the url http://www.miro.co.za/manuals/What_Do_I ... ssword.pdf I did that, i setup my serial cable it was put to COM port 20, so i set the COM port to 20, set the rate to what you told me, and then light up the routerboard, Nothing loads up on the screen, says its connected and it says auto detect, auto detect, and NUM, I also tried 150200 but that didnt work. Is my routerboard TOTALLY off the wall or something!! I no for a fact what port it is on so its not that... What else could it be? IM so close to just asking ANYONE if they are willing to netinstall it for me, I will pay for shipping there and back and whatever else... Its going on a week and I cannot fix this thing, This is delaying my hole wisp startup.. Anybody got any ideas?? please? thanks- Jordan....

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:17 am

Com 20??? In Hyperterminal I believe you have a choice of Com1-5. But to back way up, why are you using an old 112 for an AP at all? Why not a 532 or 133 at the very least?

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:24 am

Com 20??? In Hyperterminal I believe you have a choice of Com1-5. But to back way up, why are you using an old 112 for an AP at all? Why not a 532 or 133 at the very least?
Well my hyperterminal seems to allow COM20, i will set it for a smallter port number and give that a try but i HIGHLY dought it will help anything.

This was my first routerboard , i like it alot. If i have to i will go and purchase an RB133, Keep in mind these ap's are not hosting 300 users, just 20-30 Per AP that is, so i do not need a powerhouse at first. And i am just starting out im not going to go full on with the most expensive most powerfull RB's out there. And thats that!

I will give it a try on a lower com port and post back, but my position still stands anyone willing i will send the RB to them and they can work there magic on it but Its got to have some LOCK on it. Is there any other program i could use to acces bios? any ways of troubleshooting this? thanks -Jordan

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:04 am

Nope no Bios boot, nothing shows up on the screen, says connected and all, down at the bottom to the com port, no bios boots in the hyperterminal. i know it is the correct COM port, the routerboard beebs once, then twice so it is loading the OS and the bios, but IT DOES NOT want to talk to any of its interfaces, so far ether1 is NO, wlan 1 connects up send and RECEIVES traffic, but cant do a dang thing with it. Serial seems to be a NO GO. My options are being expended does anyone have any adivce? Anyone willing to give it a crack? Help..... -Jordan

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:32 am

112 will do 115200.
Serial port is the only way to recover a brick
I'd get some 133s and upgrade to 2.9.50

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:58 pm

There is a software reset jumper on routerboard, shorten it, reboot router and all configuration will reset.

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:59 pm

There is a software reset jumper on routerboard, shorten it, reboot router and all configuration will reset.
Ok did that, it reset it and really the only way i know that is becaue the wireless connection is no longer, soo im guessing software was reset but still nothing from ethernet nore serial... im starting to think the board is fried... Why i have no clue, it still lights up and beebs twice... so im not sure. *Sigh*