Community discussions

MikroTik App

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Poor speed (6Mbps) with R52Hn

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 am

I recently installed a R52Hn with two antenna's on our RB433, but, using the bandwidth test tool, the best speed is 6-9Mbps.

The two antennas are: 2.4GHz - Dipole Antenna - 9dBi - N-Type Male
I'm running the WLAN in AP Bridge mode on the 2GHz-b/g/n band.

The bandwidth test station is a laptop with a 802.11n network card located less than 20m from the RB433.

Here is my setup, anything I can improve on?
1 R name="wlan2" mtu=1500 mac-address=00:0C:42:64:EE:A9 arp=enabled
interface-type=Atheros 11N mode=ap-bridge ssid="MikroTik" frequency=2412
band=2ghz-b/g/n scan-list=default wds-mode=disabled
wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no default-authentication=yes
default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0
hide-ssid=no security-profile=mukon1 compression=no

Bandwidth Test:

Setup:

Rest of the setting are all on default.

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Poor speed (6Mbps) with R52Hn

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Please read this thread: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45769

Start with this:

1. Set HW retries to 15
2. Enable nstreme, enable polling, disable CSMA, set framer policy to dynamic
3. Set data rates to manual. UNCHECK all 802.11a/b/g rates (6mbps ~ 54mbps)

Show us a screen shot of your status page:

Double-click on wireless interface, go to the registration tab, double click on your connection, go to the signal tab, and give me a screen shot of that. Both client and AP please.

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

I read that post before posting this one, but it's a different scenario (from a newbie's perspective). :)
As far as I know, Nstreme is a MikroTik proprietary protocol used mainly for long distance links.

My network is meant to serve multiple devices (non-MT) in an open plan office environment, these device run g/n.

I attached the signal tab for my connection on the AP, once again, the client in this scenario is a normal notebook with a 802.11n NIC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:24 pm

OK, yes. That is different.

But I'd still like to see the status from the REGISTRATION tab. Check the instructions I gave you above.

First thing I see is that you don't have your second antenna enabled. You need to check CHAIN1 on the HT page.

Second thing I see is that you should set your ack timeout from dynamic to indoors.

Increase HW retries to 15.

Thanks!

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi Colebert

Thanks again, so far so good, changing the HW retries to 15 pushed my speed up to 20Mbps.
That's already a great improvement!

I just enabled my second antenna as you instructed now, will do another bandwidth test to see the affect. Also just set the Ack timeout as well.

Herewith, my REGISTRATION Tab, hope it's what you wanted.

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:48 pm

O.k, after enabling Chain1 (for TX & RX), and setting the ack timeout to indoors, my speed went down a little bit, to about 18Mbps avg.

Here are ALL my tabs as they are set at the moment.

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:45 pm

What is the wireless card you are using in the laptop?

Your laptop is not connecting at 802.11n rates; it is using 802.11g rates.

gnuttisch

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:04 am

try whitout authentication.

iam not shure, but wireless n does not support wpa psk tkip ?

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:38 am

What is the wireless card you are using in the laptop?

Your laptop is not connecting at 802.11n rates; it is using 802.11g rates.
My laptop's wireless hardware is:
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN ( http://download.intel.com/network/conne ... 323016.pdf )

Any idea how to get it to connect at N rates? Iv'e checked to make sure and my laptop's 802.11n-Mode is set to "Enabled".

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:14 am

As a test, go to data rates tab and set it to manual config. Then uncheck ALL the rates and apply. That should leave ONLY the N rates as available options. See if your laptop connects at N rates and has better speeds. Report back and let me know.

gnuttisch

Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 am

I had the same problem whit my wireless lan and this solved it. i had to run wep keys.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:00 am

why use TKIP? it's slow and bad. use AES and it will work fine. WEP is no security at all.

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:02 am

As a test, go to data rates tab and set it to manual config. Then uncheck ALL the rates and apply. That should leave ONLY the N rates as available options. See if your laptop connects at N rates and has better speeds. Report back and let me know.
O.k, I tried that and as a result I was unable to connect to the network at all.
I also tried changing my band to 2.4GHz N Only (after setting back the data rates), again I couldn't connect at all.

Another thing I noticed is that whenever the connection to my laptop drops (for whatever reason), I am unable to reconnect. Only after rebooting the PC am I able to connect again.
So for every small change we have tried out above, I've had to reboot my PC to test it.

I'm (regrettably) running Windows 7, and my wireless network drivers are current.
However, my colleague also has Windows 7 and he has less connection issues, but his speed is no better than mine when connected.

At least it's not 6Mbps anymore, thanks to the HW retries setting!

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:04 am

I had the same problem whit my wireless lan and this solved it. i had to run wep keys.
I tried your advice by disabling authentication, but it had no effect on the speed.
Thanks anyway!

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:38 pm

What ROS Version are you using?

The problem is that you aren't connecting at 802.11n rates. You are getting good speeds for 802.11g but that's not what you want.

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 am

What ROS Version are you using?

The problem is that you aren't connecting at 802.11n rates. You are getting good speeds for 802.11g but that's not what you want.
Hi, sorry was away for a few days.

I'm running ROS 4.11

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:20 am

Hi, I'm still stuck on this topic.

Is there a simple way of running diagnostics on the Radio card and the antennas?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:39 pm

I suggest to disable the supported B rates from 2-11Mbps. Then try again. Also how you measure the throughput?
Report back what rates you got when you were transmuting/receiving.

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:31 pm

I suggest to disable the supported B rates from 2-11Mbps. Then try again. Also how you measure the throughput?
I did as you suggested, as a result I could not connect to the Wireless network at all. So I had to set it back to default.

I use the MikroTik Bandwidth Test tool to measure throughput.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:15 pm

I did as you suggested, as a result I could not connect to the Wireless network at all. So I had to set it back to default.

I use the MikroTik Bandwidth Test tool to measure throughput.
Then You should uncheck all the HT basic rates and try to connect again. In this case you should have only 1Mbps and 6Mbps basic rates enabled.

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Then You should uncheck all the HT basic rates and try to connect again. In this case you should have only 1Mbps and 6Mbps basic rates enabled.
That also prevent devices from connecting. Not sure if I understood you correctly, but I didn't change anything on the HT & HT MCS tabs.
I only unchecked all basic data rates excepts for 1 Mbps & 6 Mbps.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:48 pm

That also prevent devices from connecting. Not sure if I understood you correctly, but I didn't change anything on the HT & HT MCS tabs.
I only unchecked all basic data rates excepts for 1 Mbps & 6 Mbps.
You should uncheck all the MCS basic rates and try again.

bcrawfo2

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:13 pm

Matt,
Did you make any progress on this?

I've been in your same boat for a few months. I struggle to get marginal performance out of something that should be so simple.
I had the same card in my Thinkpad T61. I'm not sure if that's the problem or your config.
I gave up and bought a router/access point from Best Buy to make sure I wasn't crazy. I get awesome performance out of the box. It just doesn't have the other features, mounting capabilities, etc. I will return it assuming I can get the MT to perform even HALF as well.
I'll boot up my T61 today (I'm a new Mac user) and will see what I get out of my MT as currently configured. If I get good performance, I'll share my screen shots.

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Matt,
Did you make any progress on this?

I've been in your same boat for a few months. I struggle to get marginal performance out of something that should be so simple.
I had the same card in my Thinkpad T61. I'm not sure if that's the problem or your config.
I gave up and bought a router/access point from Best Buy to make sure I wasn't crazy. I get awesome performance out of the box. It just doesn't have the other features, mounting capabilities, etc. I will return it assuming I can get the MT to perform even HALF as well.
I'll boot up my T61 today (I'm a new Mac user) and will see what I get out of my MT as currently configured. If I get good performance, I'll share my screen shots.
Hi, no, our wireless network's performance can be described as "acceptable" as in "it works" but nowhere near the performance I expected when purchasing the Mikrotik R52Hn card.
Most of us (even those with "n" capable NIC's in their PC's) now use the wired network and we use the wireless network only when mobility is more important than speed.
This whole ordeal was very unsettling for me since I mad the call to switch to Mikrotik and my boss allowed me to purchase the hardware, now in the end I look like a fool for not delivering what I promised. It's a shame since I love the Mikrotik's routing capabilities, but as far as my experience is concerned, the R52Hn is a big flop on Mikrotik's side.

If you have any success at all, please do post some screenshots!
Regards!

ah2480
just joined

Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:00 am

I hate to (possibly) mention something that has been said already. But, in both sets of screenshots, the HT Extension channel is disabled. Doesn't that need to be enabled (either above, or below) the control channel?

bcrawfo2

Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:48 am

Matt,
Here is my config. My Mac laptop connects at 300Mbps when I'm close to my AP. I don't get nearly that transfer rate. I get more around 90 in one direction and about 50 the other. The testing I did with my T410 (typo earlier) is about 160Mbps (connect...not transfer).
I plan on having the group here look closer at my config to hopefully get better up/downloads, but this might get you a little further.

[admin@MikroTik] /interface wireless> print advanced
Flags: X - disabled, R - running
0 R name="wlan1" mtu=1500 mac-address=00:0C:42:64:BE:60 arp=enabled disable-running-check=no interface-type=Atheros 11N radio-name="000C4264BE60" mode=ap-bridge ssid="mt-n" area=""
frequency-mode=regulatory-domain country=united states antenna-gain=0 frequency=5180 band=5ghz-onlyn channel-width=20mhz scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11 rate-set=configured
supported-rates-b=1Mbps supported-rates-a/g=6Mbps basic-rates-b=1Mbps basic-rates-a/g=6Mbps max-station-count=2007 distance=indoors tx-power-mode=default noise-floor-threshold=default
nv2-noise-floor-offset=default periodic-calibration=default periodic-calibration-interval=60 dfs-mode=none wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-default-cost=100 wds-cost-range=50-150
wds-ignore-ssid=no update-stats-interval=disabled bridge-mode=disabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0 proprietary-extensions=post-2.9.25
wmm-support=disabled hide-ssid=no security-profile=secure disconnect-timeout=3s on-fail-retry-time=100ms preamble-mode=both compression=no allow-sharedkey=no station-bridge-clone-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00
ht-ampdu-priorities=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ht-guard-interval=any ht-extension-channel=above-control
ht-supported-mcs=mcs-0,mcs-1,mcs-2,mcs-3,mcs-4,mcs-5,mcs-6,mcs-7,mcs-8,mcs-9,mcs-10,mcs-11,mcs-12,mcs-13,mcs-14,mcs-15 ht-basic-mcs="" ht-txchains=0,1 ht-rxchains=0,1 ht-amsdu-limit=8192
ht-amsdu-threshold=8192 tdma-period-size=2 nv2-queue-count=2 nv2-qos=default nv2-cell-radius=30 nv2-security=disabled nv2-preshared-key="" hw-retries=15 frame-lifetime=0 adaptive-noise-immunity=none
hw-fragmentation-threshold=disabled hw-protection-mode=none hw-protection-threshold=0 frequency-offset=0
[admin@MikroTik] /interface wireless>

sharkboy

Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:10 am

Hey
Im pretty new to this mikrotik stuff but just a shot in the dark
Try enabling the adaptive noise immunity on the wireless advanced tab
It helped me in a different case.

lazerusrm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:15 am

You also need to enable extension channel as well... also upgrade to the latest routers as well... sounds like you need help in the newbie forum... CPU on the routerboard should not be at 100%.....

matthysdt
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2011 3:55 pm

You also need to enable extension channel as well... also upgrade to the latest routers as well... sounds like you need help in the newbie forum... CPU on the routerboard should not be at 100%.....
Thanks, I'll check out the extension channel you mentioned.
P.S. The CPU should be at 100% when running a bandwidth test...

lazerusrm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 04, 2011 11:30 am

Only if you are testing TCP, and thats assuming your bottleneck is your CPU. :)

msalim
just joined

Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:33 pm

it's amazing

i want to learn how can i connect tow point toghter in the profisonal manner
please all
can you give me some links to learn me from a ----- to --- z
how can i connect tow mikrotik anntena together

for example : if i have :
- 2 metal board
- 2 grid