Community discussions

MikroTik App

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Full-duplex transparent wireless bridge [solved]

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 am

I'm trying to set up a full-duplex transparent wireless bridge with failover, using the following hardware:

Office Site:
1 x RB433 with 2 x R52n-M cards

Remote Site: (same as Office)
1 x RB433 with 2 x R52n-M cards

Both RB433s have been updated to RouterOS 4.12.

The idea is to give the remote client access as if he is plugged into the local network(see diagram below), but with the added benefits of full-duplex with redundancy. (provided by using OSPF?)

Could someone point me in the right direction please? All the tutorials and howto's I've tried, failed to provide a working solution for my specific need and hardware as mentioned above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by danielc on Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

gregsowell
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Full-duplex transparent wireless bridge help needed

Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:14 pm

Create a /30 subnet on wlan1 on each device. Ensure you can ping each other.
Create a different /30 subnet on wlan2 on each device. Ensure you can ping each other.
Enable OSPF. /routing ospf network add network=0.0.0.0/0 area=backbone <=I think that's right...hehe
On AP wlan1 ospf interface(/routing ospf interface), set the cost to 20.
On Station wlan2 set the ospf interface cost to 20.
Create a bridge named bridge10. Add no ports. Put a host IP address on this bridge interface...say 1.1.1.1 on the AP and 1.1.1.2 on the Station.
Create an EoIP tunnel on each device and use the 1.1.1.X IP address of the neighbor as the destination IP.
Create a bridge interface on each device. Add ether1 and the EoIP tunnel to the bridge.

I believe that should do the trick.

Mattias

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:18 am

Don't add OSPF network 0.0.0.0/0.. Add 192.168.0.0/24 and the networks for the wireless /30!

Example:
192.168.0.0/24 - Area: Backhaul
192.168.1.0/30 - Area: Backhaul
192.168.1.4/30 - Area: Backhaul

I think that it will take much longer for the OSPF to find all the network devices when using 0.0.0.0/0.

Regards

gregsowell
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:36 am

The network 0.0.0.0/0 is just to get this working in lab. If you do the exact network statements, do not forget to add the bridge interface addressing. Really, it doesn't hurt to add 0.0.0.0/0 in this scenario, as he isn't doing any routing...these are basically just transparent bridges.

Mattias, it won't take OSPF any longer to find the devices. The network statement simply tells OSPF which interfaces to run on. This will cause it to run only on interfaces that have addressing bound, and we want it to run on all of these interfaces, so it is a bit of a moot point.

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Greg,

Thank you very much for replying. I'm not allowed to give karma yet - no karma button for beginners... :o

Luckily this is a lab set-up - needs to work properly before I install it. So, I've followed the steps in your first post and basically got to where the other tutorials also led me => everything seems to work except for the fact that the pc connected to the station can't be pinged and cannot ping the office network. Your post made me look at the EoIP tutorial for transparent bridging, which of course is using only one set of wireless cards. I see that in said tutorial, the EoIP Tunnel points to the wireless IP on the other side. Your solution offered, suggests to point the EoIP tunnel to a portless bridge10(which has an IP assigned). Why? Should the OSPF then sort out access to that bridge and IP? It doesn't seem to happen. Below is my set-up screenshot.

Mattias thanks for your input - will keep in mind with final set-up.

Looking forward to more replies...

Lets do this thing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:16 pm

There is no ip assignment for bridge1. I think the ip on ether1 should be assigned to bridge1.

ADD: I see no ports assigned to bridge10.

OK, the coffee is kicking in!
Remove the ip assignment from ether1. That is the default ip/subnet from the default setting.
I think you want those two interfaces assigned to bridge10, not bridge1.

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi SurferTim,

Thanks for the reply. Greg mentioned that bridge10 should not have any ports. Have tried moving the ports to bridge 10 and removed the IP assignments from the ether1's on both sides. Still no luck with connecting the remote pc to the network though.

Some more questions:
Should the bridges the rstp protocol?
Should connection tracking in the firewall be disabled?

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:19 pm

That should be no problem. It took a second to see what you want. I use no fancy routing protocols, so if you have enabled those, disable them.

One thing I do not see: Which interface connects to the internet? Is that eoip-tunnel? While waiting, I will work out the rest. The failover you can deal with once the basic connections work.

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Basically the wireless bridge should just act as a virtual ethernet cable. So on both sides the switch/pc is plugged into ether1. For instance - on the remote side I plug my laptop in, with my laptop's IP being 192.168.1.25. I should then be able to browse the network and network shares e.g. file server \\192.168.1.5 at the office.

The above scenario work perfectly with single network card on each side with either WDS, MPLS or EoIP transparent bridge set-ups. It would just be great to add some redundancy, with the benefit of full duplex to this.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:34 pm

EDIT: OH! My bad. You have both radios working already? So you are already linked with one radio now?

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Yup, both radio's are up and that creates the predicament I'm in. Utilising WDS creates the appearance that the link is working, but it only provides failover, not full duplex as well.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:48 pm

I could probably help with the failover, but I am not experienced with the dual full duplex of two r52n. :(

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 pm

A good tutorial for a single-set-wireless-card-transparent-bridge, with links to different methods:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... using_MPLS

What I'm trying to achieve: (BUT on the same subnet)
http://blog.butchevans.com/2008/10/usin ... ess-links/
(above is using 2 x routerboards and a router on each side, but I would like to use a single routerboard with two wireless cards on each side)
Another one - with difference subnets on each side:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dual_Setup_with_OSPF

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm

No worries SurferTim, thanks for your contributions. :)

gregsowell
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:58 pm

The idea was to get the wireless interfaces up first. You can ping the other side.

Then get OSPF working.

Bridge10 was going to just be a universal endpoint for the EoIP tunnel. It is a virtual IP in the middle of the router. If we use an IP in the middle of the router, it doesn't matter which interface the traffic enters on, it will always make it to the intended destination. This is also referred to as a loopback interface.

Once you have OSPF up and working, the following should be all you need:

###ROUTER 1
##add the eoip interface
/interface eoip
add arp=enabled comment="" disabled=no l2mtu=65535 mac-address=\
02:73:25:30:6B:F4 mtu=1500 name=eoip-tunnel1 remote-address=1.1.1.2 \
tunnel-id=0

##add bridge interfaces
/interface bridge
add admin-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 ageing-time=5m arp=enabled auto-mac=yes \
comment="" disabled=no forward-delay=15s l2mtu=65535 max-message-age=20s \
mtu=1500 name=bridge1 priority=0x8000 protocol-mode=none \
transmit-hold-count=6
mtu=1500 name=bridge10 priority=0x8000 protocol-mode=none \
transmit-hold-count=6
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 comment="" disabled=no edge=auto external-fdb=auto \
horizon=none interface=eoip-tunnel1 path-cost=10 point-to-point=auto \
priority=0x80
horizon=none interface=ether1 path-cost=10 point-to-point=auto priority=\
0x80

##add the ip address to the bridge10 interface
/ip address
add address=1.1.1.1/32 broadcast=1.1.1.1 comment="" disabled=no interface=\
bridge10 network=1.1.1.1

###ROUTER 2
##add the eoip interface
/interface eoip
add arp=enabled comment="" disabled=no l2mtu=65535 mac-address=\
02:73:25:30:6B:F4 mtu=1500 name=eoip-tunnel1 remote-address=1.1.1.1 \
tunnel-id=0

##add bridge interfaces
/interface bridge
mtu=1500 name=bridge1 priority=0x8000 protocol-mode=none \
transmit-hold-count=6
mtu=1500 name=bridge10 priority=0x8000 protocol-mode=none \
transmit-hold-count=6
/interface bridge port
horizon=none interface=eoip-tunnel1 path-cost=10 point-to-point=auto \
priority=0x80
horizon=none interface=ether1 path-cost=10 point-to-point=auto priority=\
0x80

##add the ip address to the bridge10 interface
/ip address
add address=1.1.1.2/32 broadcast=1.1.1.2 comment="" disabled=no interface=\
bridge10 network=1.1.1.2

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:09 am

Hi Greg,

Followed your example. It appears to be working now. I left ether1 without an IP address on both sides and can now simply "plug into" the local network as if I'm directly connected. I did a simultaneous copy of large files both ways and the full-duplexing is working. After disabling the one set of wlan's, it seamlessly fell back on the remaining set. The only strange thing was that, after re-enabling the wlan's whilst copying the files, the traffic remained only on the one set of wlan's and did not return to full-duplex...

Anyways, thanks for your input. Appreciate it.

Final test config for anyone interested:
(One side only. The other side is the same, except the IP's should changes to x.x.x.2 and the eoip remote address is 1.1.1.1)
[admin@PC_SIDE] > interface wireless print 
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0  R name="wlan1" mtu=1500 mac-address=00:0C:42:65:D5:FA arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros 11N mode=ap-bridge 
      ssid="MikroTik_PC" frequency=5180 band=5ghz scan-list=default wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none 
      wds-ignore-ssid=no default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0 
      default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=default compression=no 

1  R name="wlan2" mtu=1500 mac-address=00:0C:42:65:D5:0A arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros 11N mode=station 
      ssid="MikroTik_LAPTOP" frequency=5300 band=5ghz scan-list=default wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none 
      wds-ignore-ssid=no default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0 
      default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=default compression=no 

[admin@PC_SIDE] > interface eoip print 
 0  R name="eoip-tunnel1" mtu=1500 l2mtu=65535 mac-address=02:73:25:30:6B:F4 arp=enabled remote-address=1.1.1.2 
      tunnel-id=0 

[admin@PC_SIDE] > interface bridge print 
 0  R name="bridge1" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1526 arp=enabled mac-address=02:73:25:30:6B:F4 protocol-mode=none priority=0x8000 
      auto-mac=yes admin-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 max-message-age=20s forward-delay=15s transmit-hold-count=6 
      ageing-time=5m 

1  R name="bridge10" mtu=1500 l2mtu=65535 arp=enabled mac-address=00:00:00:00:00:00 protocol-mode=none priority=0x8000 
      auto-mac=yes admin-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 max-message-age=20s forward-delay=15s transmit-hold-count=6 
      ageing-time=5m 

[admin@PC_SIDE] > interface bridge port print 
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic 
 #    INTERFACE                                  BRIDGE                                  PRIORITY PATH-COST  HORIZON   
 0    eoip-tunnel1                               bridge1                                 0x80     10         none      
 1    ether1                                     bridge1                                 0x80     10         none      

[admin@PC_SIDE] > routing ospf network print 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid 
 #   NETWORK            AREA                                                                                           
 0   0.0.0.0/0          backbone                                                                                       

[admin@PC_SIDE] > routing ospf interface print 
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic, P - passive 
 #    INTERFACE                                         COST  PRIORITY NETWORK-TYPE   AUTHENTICATION AUTHENTICATION-KEY
 0    wlan1                                             20    1        broadcast      none                             
 1 D  wlan2                                             10    1        broadcast      none                             
 2 DP bridge10                                          10    1        broadcast      none                             

[admin@PC_SIDE] > ip address print 
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 #   ADDRESS            NETWORK         BROADCAST       INTERFACE                                                      
 0   10.10.10.1/30      10.10.10.0      10.10.10.3      wlan1                                                          
 1   10.10.20.1/30      10.10.20.0      10.10.20.3      wlan2                                                          
 2   1.1.1.1/32         1.1.1.1         1.1.1.1         bridge10                                                       

danielc
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Full-duplex transparent wireless bridge [solved]

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:59 am

Correction:
The traffic do return to full duplex when one of the sets of wlan's was disabled and then re-enabled again.

Also, I've disabled connection tracking under the firewall. It appears to speed up the return to full-duplex.

Does anybody have advice on optimizing the link as well as any advice on adding security?

avious
just joined

Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a problem with this setup I'm trying to figure out.

I already have it working full duplex, automatic failover, and bridging the two outside subnets and it's awesome.

The only difference is I'm using two rb450G routers and 4 ubiquiti Rockets for the bridging links.

Even with the EOIP tunnel this still has a LARGE amount of bandwidth available.

If you are thinking about this solution try it, it's awesome.

I have the UBNT rockets set up with addresses on the bridge subnets of the corresponding links for link A and link B.

I used a /29 for each instead of a /30 because of the extra interfaces on the rockets.

The problem I'm trying to figure out is how can I set this up differently where I can get back into the Rockets to manage them.

I say this because the layer 2 subnet will stretch across the two RB450g's and plugged into that subnet I won't be able to touch the subnet that the bridges are on.

Is there a way to do this?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:36 am

i think greg has achieved it... a full duplex link with failover...

check the following link http://gregsowell.com/?p=2493

leoarg85
just joined

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Hey everyone,

I have a problem with this setup I'm trying to figure out.

I already have it working full duplex, automatic failover, and bridging the two outside subnets and it's awesome.

The only difference is I'm using two rb450G routers and 4 ubiquiti Rockets for the bridging links.

Even with the EOIP tunnel this still has a LARGE amount of bandwidth available.

If you are thinking about this solution try it, it's awesome.

I have the UBNT rockets set up with addresses on the bridge subnets of the corresponding links for link A and link B.

I used a /29 for each instead of a /30 because of the extra interfaces on the rockets.

The problem I'm trying to figure out is how can I set this up differently where I can get back into the Rockets to manage them.

I say this because the layer 2 subnet will stretch across the two RB450g's and plugged into that subnet I won't be able to touch the subnet that the bridges are on.

Is there a way to do this?
Hi avious, I have the same problem, have do you got a solution? Or what alternative do you know?

Please answer me

Thanks

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:42 am

on question to greg.... and others

when we setup up a full duplex link with 4 antenna and 4 radios should or can we play with the TX/RX checkbox of the wireless settings?? or should both the TX/RX should be left enabled??

also can the entire full duplex link be achieved with 4 RB-SXT ???

RusTus
just joined

Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:32 am

Hi all. I relatively new to routeros, but I have used this solution to provide a link between two of our companies buildings about 2 miles apart using a DragonWave transmitter and also a Ubiquiti M2. So far it works awesome, and although the DragonWave is a lot faster (400MB/S) it has actually worked well for us and have not noticed any problems with voip or jitter, so I am pleased).

My question though, is that we are needing to connect another building as well, and so I need to have another transparent bridge to that location as well. Is there anything differently in the IP addressing that I will need to do to ensure that the bridge or OSPF will not conflict with the solution I already have in place to the existing building?

Any help or insight would be great, and thanks all who figured this out, it has been a great solution so far :)

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:22 pm

Mikrotik, DragonWave or any other RF units in this world will work on the industry standard networking protocols.

the only difference will be within their RF communication techniques (which can be proprietary) and frequencies.

you can go ahead an install it as far as you don't end up giving an already exisiting IP address which can create the most " feared" IP Address Conflict situation :D

RusTus
just joined

Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:55 pm

Yea. So so I need to make sure that on the second router each interface has another subnet and the EOIP also on a different subnet than on the first router?

BUILDING 1
Router 1:
WAN1 10.10.10.1/29
WAN2 10.10.20.1/29
EOIP 1.1.1.1/32

Router 2:
WAN1 10.10.10.2/29
WAN2 10.10.20.2/29
EOIP 1.1.1.2/32

BUILDING 2
Router 1:
WAN1 10.10.30.1/29