Community discussions

MikroTik App

Sledo
just joined
Topic Author

Switch instead of router?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 am

Experts. I have a link between a Nano5 and RB433 running ok. The question is what happens if in the other side of nano 5 i connect a switch instead of a router? (the Nano5 is connected as a bridge ).
in the dhcp table of RB433 i see a new device, but without mac address. what happens to the bandwidth allocated to the client in this case???. Thank you very much!

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Switch instead of router?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:19 am

Wow, that's a hard question to answer with so little info about your network. I assume the clients on are on the other of the switch/ router? How are you queuing the clients? If you are marking and matching everything it will possibly perform the same. If you are matching IP addresses everything will possibly work the same. However, to really answer that question, we would have to understand what the router was doing... probably not much since its being replaced with a switch? What type of queuing are you using and where is that taking place? I didn't really understand the question about the MAC address, however chances are that the MAC address is not directly affecting the functionality of the que. It may or may not be a symptom of connections issues.. Trying forcing the DHCP lease to be renewed and/ or the ARP. However, just from what you are asking I would say you will probably be just fine replacing the router with a switch as long at the router does not have some undisclosed vital role. Hope that helps :-)

czolo

Re: Switch instead of router?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 am

Experts. I have a link between a Nano5 and RB433 running ok. The question is what happens if in the other side of nano 5 i connect a switch instead of a router? (the Nano5 is connected as a bridge ).
in the dhcp table of RB433 i see a new device, but without mac address. what happens to the bandwidth allocated to the client in this case???. Thank you very much!
If you see new device without mac, it could be wrong connection type. Are those Nano5 and RB433 conected with WDS?

Last bumped by Sledo on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 am.