Community discussions

MikroTik App

lorsungcu
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Best indoor warehouse AP setup?

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:10 am

I have a project coming up where I will need to outfit a large warehouse with some APs. My thought would be Mikrotik router boards with 2 sector/client antennas, and one directional 'uplink' antenna (3 radios). Attached is a simple layout of the building. There are 4 main warehouse rooms and one office area. The first WH is a large, most open space. Ceilings are ~60'. There are metal pillars throughout. The second space is ~2-3 times as large, and about half is filled with pallet racking, holding large, steel objects, about 1/2-2/3 the height of the ceiling (also ~60'). The third and fourth area's are about half the size of the first area, and have gantry cranes running the length of them. All four are arranged in a straight line, so it goes [office]>[first wh]>[second wh]>[third wh]>[fourth wh]. There are large garage doors in the cetner of each room leading to the next room. There is currently one access point in the office area, none in the warehouses.

Has anyone done anything similar, and what worked? What didnt? VOIP may be carried over it, so latency may be an issue, but most of the time it will be for reading documentation, running tests/uploading data, etc. Running cable down the length of the warehouse is possible, but if we could (at least in places) get by with WDS, that would be ideal.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Egate
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Best indoor warehouse AP setup?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 pm

Try and put the aerials as high as possible with the lease possible material between the aerial and client, unless the office roofs is corrugated, then you are sk :? . Also see if you cant get actual sealing aerials, they are much more omni and designed for this kind of application.