Community discussions

MikroTik App

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wireless bridge keeps deauthing

Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:10 am

I was forced to replace a vintage Engenius radio bridge with a Tranzeo SL2 tonight. Since then, the log has been filled with disconnection messages, mostly for "4-way handshake timeout." Log file is attached as a file. Hardware retries were set to 4; raised them to 6 and then 8 and got no relief. AP configuration is:
 0  R name="AP" mtu=1500 mac-address=00:15:6D:64:4D:55 arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros AR5413 mode=ap-bridge 
      ssid="Call.623-640-7883" frequency=2462 band=2ghz-b channel-width=20mhz scan-list=default 
      wireless-protocol=unspecified antenna-mode=ant-a wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no 
      bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0 
      default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=RioVistaAP compression=no 

/interface wireless security-profiles print

1 name="AP" mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk unicast-ciphers=tkip group-ciphers=tkip 
   wpa-pre-shared-key="Whatever" wpa2-pre-shared-key="Whatever" supplicant-identity="AP" 
   tls-mode=no-certificates tls-certificate=none static-algo-0=none static-key-0="" static-algo-1=none static-key-1="" 
   static-algo-2=none static-key-2="" static-algo-3=none static-key-3="" static-transmit-key=key-0 
   static-sta-private-algo=none static-sta-private-key="" radius-mac-authentication=no radius-mac-accounting=no 
   radius-eap-accounting=no interim-update=0s radius-mac-format=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX radius-mac-mode=as-username 
   radius-mac-caching=disabled group-key-update=5m management-protection=disabled management-protection-key="" 
[/size]I saw this problem beaten to death here with no real resolution. I am running 5.5 on my router, which is an RB433. The old Engenius had a solid radio connection with no dropouts of this type, but had to be replaced due to water damage. I am running out of radio brands to use as this bridge. Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless bridge keeps deauthing

Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Is this correct? I see no security profile with that name.
0 R name="AP" mtu=1500 mac-address=00:15:6D:64:4D:55 arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros AR5413 mode=ap-bridge
ssid="Call.623-640-7883" frequency=2462 band=2ghz-b channel-width=20mhz scan-list=default
wireless-protocol=unspecified antenna-mode=ant-a wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no
bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0
default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=RioVistaAP compression=no

/interface wireless security-profiles print

1 name="AP" mode=dynamic-keys authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk unicast-ciphers=tkip group-ciphers=tkip
wpa-pre-shared-key="Whatever" wpa2-pre-shared-key="Whatever" supplicant-identity="AP"
tls-mode=no-certificates tls-certificate=none static-algo-0=none static-key-0="" static-algo-1=none static-key-1=""
static-algo-2=none static-key-2="" static-algo-3=none static-key-3="" static-transmit-key=key-0
static-sta-private-algo=none static-sta-private-key="" radius-mac-authentication=no radius-mac-accounting=no
radius-eap-accounting=no interim-update=0s radius-mac-format=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX radius-mac-mode=as-username
radius-mac-caching=disabled group-key-update=5m management-protection=disabled management-protection-key=""

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Assume they match. I massaged the posting by hand to remove immaterial identifying information, and missed one.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:47 am

Assume they match.
Then assume it works! :D

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:49 am

This isn't really helping. This is a valid problem.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 am

The Tranzeo engineer suggested I change the group key update time on the AP from the default 00:05:00 to 01:00:00, which is what the Tranzeo expects. It didn't solve the seizures, it just cut them down to one per hour. He also suggested I set the unit to simple WPA/TKIP, which I did, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I've gone through two Tranzeos (both HW rev 2 and 3) and swapped out the AP radio card last night with a brand new one. I've never seen this behavior from other Tranzeos being used as CPEs on our other towers.

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 am

Guess I jinxed myself. The same problem just started happening on my oldest access point, an RB532, which was running 5.6, upgraded today to 5.7 but it didn't help.

echo: wireless,info 00:13:4F:10:4C:D6@Town: connected
echo: wireless,info 00:13:4F:00:DE:F5@Town: connected
echo: wireless,info 00:13:4F:00:C3:15@Town: connected
echo: wireless,info 00:13:4F:10:4C:D6@Town: disconnected, received deauth: 4-way handshake timeout (15)
echo: wireless,info 00:13:4F:00:DE:F5@Town: disconnected, received deauth: 4-way handshake timeout (15)
echo: wireless,info 00:13:4F:00:C3:15@Town: disconnected, received deauth: 4-way handshake timeout (15)
[/size]
...over and over and over. And this time they are subscriber CPEs, not infrastructure bridges. I am going to have some peevish subscribers tomorrow morning. :(

macsrwe
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:48 pm

Looks like our problem was that our AP radio card (UBNT XR2) was going sour. It appears that one symptom of this is Tranzeos at the edge of their effective range start de-authing. Replaced the card with a fresh card and problems magically disappeared.

I'm going to post a copy of this diagnosis here too, as I see many others have seen this problem.