Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

SXT Ethernet port dead? Use usb?

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:46 am

I have an SXT that looks like the Ethernet port is dead.
Light on the connected switch shows it is connected but neighbour can't see the unit.
Since terminal session is not possible tried the netinstall procedure with the screwdriver method (10secs press - release after led stop flashing) but netinstall is not picking up the unit.

Is there anyway the board can be revived or terminal'd in by the usb connection?

Or can this board be the next one on a series or rb's that have a dead Ethernet port developed just in the middle of being productive?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: SXT Ethernet port dead? Use usb?

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:57 am

wireless is not accessible? by the way, the netinstall can't be launched with screwdriver method, that's only for system reset. netinstall launhes with the button behind the door.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 am

wireless is not accessible? by the way, the netinstall can't be launched with screwdriver method, that's only for system reset. netinstall launhes with the button behind the door.
You're right, its not the screwdriver method but the pressing of the reset button. I've done it that way.
And no, after a reset (which is the first thing you usually try when a board fails) back to factory default the radio is switched off.

So I think this is yet another unit with a failing Ethernet that I have to send in under RMA....

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:56 pm

I would request Mikrotik to sort out ethernet port problems on both SXT & Groove.. I have lot of devices which power on ...give booting beepps... show as connected but won't show up in WINBOX & no ping replies from the units.
How do I fix them...I gave some of them to my vendor but he took 3 months to get it from RMA.
mIKROTIK PLEASE LOOK FOR A DISTRIBUTOR IN INDIA who can maintain logistics for RMA.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:15 pm

there seems to be no improvement in the distributors quality and knowledge level in India.

they are just interested in pushing the box and earning the buck. :( pretty sad.

i wish i could be an distributor but unfortunately don't have the required financial power to do so. :(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:16 pm

I would request Mikrotik to sort out ethernet port problems on both SXT & Groove.. I have lot of devices which power on ...give booting beepps... show as connected but won't show up in WINBOX & no ping replies from the units.
How do I fix them...I gave some of them to my vendor but he took 3 months to get it from RMA.
mIKROTIK PLEASE LOOK FOR A DISTRIBUTOR IN INDIA who can maintain logistics for RMA.
I don't know about any mass problem like this. Did you try to reset?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:29 pm

can you arrange to send 2 units to me in Pune, Maharashtra? i can surely try to troubleshoot it. :) no charges!!!

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:40 pm

I don't know about any mass problem like this. Did you try to reset?
i have tried everything possible. reset by shorting. pressing the button while the unit boots up. used factory crimped cables to test if there may be crimping issues. changed power adapters and poe's. nothing helped. most distributors r selling mikrotik gear by clearly saying that they cannot give warranty. they give excuse of logistic problems and customs clearance etc.

This needs to be sorted

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:58 am

can you arrange to send 2 units to me in Pune, Maharashtra? i can surely try to troubleshoot it. :) no charges!!!

the distributors in India are giving 2 options. (1) with warranty and (2) without warranty

you have the choice to opt for either. also it depends how good rapport you have with the distributor.

my option to help you out is still open if you are willing to send the units to my place for testing.

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:26 pm

the distributors in India are giving 2 options. (1) with warranty and (2) without warranty

you have the choice to opt for either. also it depends how good rapport you have with the distributor.

my option to help you out is still open if you are willing to send the units to my place for testing.
with warranty takes 3 months for replacement or even they are reluctant to give it for replacement and have tied up with some local guy to have it repaired or tweaked. we are paying the extra buck to get products with warranty. i don't want to take names but I have tried each one before settling for one distributor and the volume of orders we are placing with him is far higher than any other ISP in eastern india.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:59 am

why don't you import the stuff yourself?...

i did the same thing... you can keep couple of extra devices in stock for yourself for replacements.

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:42 am

what's the update with your products??

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:04 am

i think i have discovered some issue with the mikrotik ethernet ports on sxt's, grooves, 711's and the recent 911's.
Normis needs to seriously take this up.
Earlier boards had pins going into holes on the board. This was a much stronger hold.

Recently they have started superficial soldering which often loosens when cables are plugged in, specially with cables these days coming in all sorts of thickness.
Also the inside of the ethernet port connector(the pins inside) moves back and forth. i had a broken connector in my hand and noticed it.
What is this for NORMIS??
If the pins have so much movement (almost 3-5 mm back and forth) space these will have the tendency to loosen from the kind of superficial soldering u have.
Is it some kind of tactics to have the sales high????
I have to put this on display at the recent MUM.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:24 am

I don't know in general but indeed we had some boards were the ethernet interface came loose very easy the first time we plugged a cable. Some times due the outside box a ethernet cable needs some force to get it in front of the port before it slides in and yes, in doing so some came off very easy... not good.....