Community discussions

MikroTik App

WhyFie
just joined
Topic Author

Station-wds and Mesh

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:31 am

Hello all,

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the Forwarding Protocols section. I'm trying to set up a very simple configuration, but for some reason I can't get it right.

My setup is as follows:
(1): RB411AR / R52Hn: One interface in g (disabled for now), one in a/n mixed mode (5GHz).
(2): RB411 / R52Hn: One interface in a/n mixed mode (5GHz).

Both are running ROS v4.16.
(2) is in ap-bridge mode, connected to my internet router via ethernet.
(1) is in station-wds mode, connected to (2).

I have created a mesh interface in both cases, as follows:
(1) has both the 5GHz interface (station-wds) and the ethernet interface added as ports (in the future, I want to add the 2.4GHz interface as well).
(2) has only the 5GHz interface (ap-bridge) added to the mesh, and is also the Mesh portal.

In both cases, the wds-mode is dynamic-mesh, and the wds-default-bridge is the mesh interface I created. Default-authentication/forwarding is set to true, although I have added the relevant entries to the access- and connect-lists just for good measure.

The mesh network is 192.168.89.0/24. I have assigned ip addresses to the Mesh interface of each routerboard. I have also assigned an address in 192.168.2.0/24 for the ethernet interface connected to my internet router.

In theory (I hope) all is well. In practice, though, there is no connectivity between the wireless nodes. The client registers fine (it shows up in the relevant tabs), wds1 is added to the mesh bridge, but pings (even MAC pings) between nodes do not work at all.

If I change the wireless mode in (1) from station-wds to station, then pings work normally (but then I obviously can't bridge the wireless interface with the others).

So in summary, my problem is station-wds mode and mesh. Is there something obviously wrong with my setup? I would appreciate any help on this, as I spent quite a few hours over the last weekend, trying to find out what I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

WhyFie
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Station-wds and Mesh

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 am

Anyone?

Is station-wds even compatible with HWMP+ ? Or should I stick to wds-slave?

What I want to achieve is multi-radio mesh with ptp links between APs. Is there maybe a better method than the one I'm following?

Sorry if my questions seem newbish, but I'm playing by feel here. I've already read the manual and have spent many hours here searching the forum. It's just that, after seeing a throughput of 160-170 Mbps in a pure station-ap connection with a couple of indoor antennas, I loathe the idea of going back to 20-25Mbps with WDS-slave. :?

chimaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Run everything as ap bridge?

kembiet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:29 am

_:o