Community discussions

MikroTik App

siddhartha
just joined
Topic Author

Hotspot server problem with complex architecture.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Hey there. I am trying to enable a hotspot server in an architecture I have. First I tried to implement a portal server on another router (Huawei) but it was very complex. So, I figured why not getting a mikrotik router to get the job done. As I said the architecture is very complex (one might say unnecessary) but it's due to change of Internet Provider. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

Right now the mikrotik router is not there.
First of all, I was wondering if something like this is even possible ?
Secondly,just to try it, I have connected one router (with interface to IP cloud) and another mikrotik router(with local network via ethernet )on which I've set up the hotspot server. When I start the browser, I get the login page and I authenticate, the ping to 8.8.8.8 works good, but I can't seem to enter any sites. When I go to google.com, for example, I get the status from the hotspot over and over again. I am guessing there is something wrong with the DNS. I will continue trying but if anyone has any input pls help. Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ofasa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Hotspot server problem with complex architecture.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello,

For the hotspot server to work correctly, there has to be MAC layer connectivity between the client and the hotspot gateway.
(I'm assuming the clients are connecting to the WRT300 routers)