MikroTik App

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

how to access RB MAC ID from a browser

Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:16 am

hi,

the feature to access the routerboard using the MAC id from Winbox is wonderful.

is there anyway we can do the same when using a browser??

-sid

kirshteins
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: how to access RB MAC ID from a browser

Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:24 am

MAC Winbox communicates with router using data link layer (layer2). Web browsers cannot do that.

MTikSeekeroe

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:03 pm

hi,
-sid
MAC Winbox communicates with router using data link layer (layer2). Web browsers cannot do that.
My first thought was that kirshteins was correct in that web browser only communicates at Layer 3.

Thinking about it a bit longer, i realised that MikroTik's clever webfig does let you find out what MAC address of the router is. Even it communicates at layer 3.

It's a kinda situation where you or I can't walk across the ocean from Asia to the US but only by plane and ship. But if a friend arrives in the US (by plane or ship), he/she can certainly let you know what you want to know by phone.

I like the metaphor. I like collecting Karma if you think I earned it.

Edit: I just realised that I misread the question completely. Oops.
Last edited by MTikSeekeroe on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joshaven

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:32 pm

hi,
-sid
My first thought was that kirshteins was correct in that web browser only communicates at Layer 3.

Thinking about it a bit longer, i realised that MikroTik's clever webfig does let you find out what MAC address of the router is. Even it communicates at layer 3.

It's a kinda situation where you or I can't walk across the ocean from Asia to the US but only by plane and ship. But if a friend arrives in the US (by place or ship), he/she can certainly let you know what you want to know by phone.

I like the metaphor. I like collecting Karma if you think I earned it.