Community discussions

MikroTik App

fazerbcn
just joined
Topic Author

Monitor 3G connection (3G disconnections after 1 day or 2)

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:40 am

I've got a RB411U with RouterOS 5.12 and a Sierra Wireless MC8705 mini-pci-e (seems the right (and expensive) way).
[pp@MikroTik] > /interface ppp-client monitor 0
         uptime: 22m8s
      idle-time: 3m1s
  connect-speed: 7200000
            mtu: 1500
            mru: 1500
Ok I've made all connections info-channel=3 data-channel=4 for leaving info-channel free, but I'm now doing some tests on 3-3, as I've seen people using this kind of configuration (this leaving /interface ppp-client info command inoperative).

I configure everything and all seems to work fine as seen above, but after some hours the boards seems to be connected to the internet, but no traffic flows to/from Internet. Disabling ppp-client and reenabling makes the trick to make it work again.

I've seen someone asking on scripting about a watchdog for 3g cards, hasn't anybody found this problem annoying or becoming a system unusable?

I don't want to run a script every night disabling and reenabling the ppp interface.

P.S.:I remember the joke about car factories telling their users to stop the car and restart again to make it work on a highway. I don't have to reboot my phone 4 times a week to reconnect to the internet, nor had to be the case of the 411U or other boards. If nobody has gotten this configuration working, does anybody found another board that could work with the Sierra Wireless mini-pci-e?

fazerbcn
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Monitor 3G connection (3G disconnections after 1 day or

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:25 pm

I've arrived to a new state of hang, with a "Status: resetting link" message on ppp-client monitor

monolithelectronics has posted on another topic to add modem init:
ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+IFC=2,2;
I'm testing, will see how it works

What I'm seeing on the forum is scripts to reboot on losing internet connection and scripts to remove the port and reboot the routerboard, but seems nobody has the clue of what is really going wrong. In the new state of "resetting link" there's no way to make it work but powering off and on the board (it seems modem hanged).

Does anybody have any light or any working configuration? RB411U seems the routerboard option for this type of configuration, and MC8705 seems the right modem to work with, isn't it?

Thanks in advance,

fazerbcn
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Monitor 3G connection (3G disconnections after 1 day or

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 am

+1 Karma to Mikrotik support people.

Opened a ticket and they pointed me to an old topic on this forum with a new addition:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59214

In this topic there's a point that Sierra Wireless cards do nothing on ATH command (used by Routerboard to reset 3G card), and that AT!GRESET is the correct way to reset the card (Right now it seems to work [at least for some hours]). Huawei cards seems to work fine with AT+CHUP (not tested).

You can see a script for rebooting in case the test detected something wrong.

Hope this helps.