Community discussions

MikroTik App

dedgars
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik RB751U-2HnD as repeater (preferably with working U)

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 am

Hi!

Can anyone tell how to configure RB751U-2HnD to work as a repeater. Will the ability to connect USB HDD be preserved?

Thank You!

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MikroTik RB751U-2HnD as repeater (preferably with workin

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:02 am

Hi!

Can anyone tell how to configure RB751U-2HnD to work as a repeater. Will the ability to connect USB HDD be preserved?

Thank You!
You really need a mikrotik with 2 radios to do this (or 2 mikrotiks). With just 1 radio, like in the 751, you can do WDS but it requires the other devices to be WDS compatible and you will lose half of your bandwidth.

I don't think you can do a generic repeater (access point + client) with a single radio in Mikrotik. but you can do WDS.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

MikroTik RB751U-2HnD as repeater (preferably with working U)

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Better get a 433ah with 2cards as repeater

TheWiFiGuy

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:26 pm

Depending on what you are trying to repeat, it could work fine.

Simply set the 751 to WDS-SLAVE mode, set the SSID and job done. As suggested you will loose 1/2 the available bandwidth of the radio, but that could still be enough.

We use RB751's as simple WDS repeater with both engenius and mikrotik solutions and it works a treat.

fyl
just joined

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Wifiguy

Can you provide more guidance on the wds slave repeater setup via winbox.?

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:15 pm

wds-slave is setup just like ap-bridge... except that it will also connect to another access point (automatically) that has the same ssid as this one.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Wireless

fyl
just joined

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 am

wds-slave is setup just like ap-bridge... except that it will also connect to another access point (automatically) that has the same ssid as this one.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Wireless
I tried setting it to WDS-SLAVE, I can see AP running. But in Winbox the, Slave word in the bottom of the interface menu is greyed. In the WDS tab, do I set it to Dynamic or Static ? How do I confirm if the link works ? I am trying to connect to a DLINK DIR-615 but on this router has nothing mentioned about WDS.

If the router doesn't support WDS, what other options is feasible ?

Hotz1

Tue May 01, 2012 3:38 am

I tried setting it to WDS-SLAVE, I can see AP running. But in Winbox the, Slave word in the bottom of the interface menu is greyed. In the WDS tab, do I set it to Dynamic or Static ? How do I confirm if the link works ? I am trying to connect to a DLINK DIR-615 but on this router has nothing mentioned about WDS. If the router doesn't support WDS, what other options is feasible ?
By "repeater" I take it you mean to extend the wireless range of the Dlink*. Without digging into the manual for the Dlink, I'm going to assume it doesn't support WDS (if it did, you'd probably have to enable it on the Dlink as well), which means you would basically have to replace the Dlink with a Mikrotik/RouterOS box--which in turn opens up a lot of radio and antenna options that might eliminate the need for a second box.

If you only want to use the 751's Ethernet ports, you can set its wlan1 to station mode and connect it to the Dlink as a client, then bridge wlan1 to the Ethernet ports.

If you are really attached to the Dlink, your best bet is to get an RB433 or RB411AR with two radios: one in station mode to connect to the Dlink as above, and the other in ap-bridge mode for other devices to connect to. Put the two radios on a bridge, and that's just about it.

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 01, 2012 4:02 am

This is one of those situations where the Mikrotik can't do what an off-the-shelf $50 universal repeater can do...

...it simply doesn't have the software ability.

fyl
just joined

Tue May 15, 2012 12:03 pm

After weeks searching for a solution, yes I have accepted the fact that the current RouterOS versions + RB700 series does not support wireless client bridge/ap client bridge/universal repeater functionality. Sad but true.

I will be submitting a feature request and hope anyone who like to see the feature will also support it.

vpritiskovic
just joined

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:54 pm

After weeks searching for a solution, yes I have accepted the fact that the current RouterOS versions + RB700 series does not support wireless client bridge/ap client bridge/universal repeater functionality. Sad but true.

I will be submitting a feature request and hope anyone who like to see the feature will also support it.
This is ..., every Atheros single radio device supported by dd-wrt is capable for simple repeater mode - (client + VAP)!

Something new?

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 pm

I have spent hours trying to get an RB951-2n pick up a wifi signal and rebroadcast it. Have a Ubnt loco acting as AP-WDS with WPA password about 300 meters away. Need the Mikrotik to pick it up on top floor and broadcast it too basement. It can pick it up fine upstairs its just there is no signal downstairs. Can I do this with a single radio? Have tried wds-slave on v6rc11 with no luck. If not what is cheapest mikrotik with two radio modules?

kschaefer
just joined

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:28 am

I'm sure there must be a way to accomplish this with 1 radio. I'm going to try to solve this puzzle.

2nd MT - set radio card as WDS Station and bridge to a VirtualAP to serve clients.