Community discussions

MikroTik App

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

wireless signal (tx/rx) strength shown on login page...

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi...

I believe most of us there is some WiFi hotpost customer (Laptop) facing the connection issue due to the wireless connection issue...
we able to see the tx/rx signal strength in the AP but customer only see one way information (usually shown rx data rate and signal only)....

is possible we can make this way, when customer connected to the AP, and when it go like www.google.com, it will redirect to the login page...

how can we make the login page to show the signal strength + data rate to the user and the page can help to tell the customer he should connect to the other AP for better connectivity...

I believe this should can be done and in fact this can help to cut down the support call...

or, can be this add in the new feature request to the next version???

thanks...

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

wireless signal (tx/rx) strength shown on login page...

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:10 pm

You can set your AP to only allow connections with good signal by using the Access list

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... ccess_List

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: wireless signal (tx/rx) strength shown on login page...

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:08 pm

You can set your AP to only allow connections with good signal by using the Access list

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... ccess_List
This is done, but it's not the perfect thing as can see some signal flapping user can connect and cause they have no stable connection...

Hotz1

Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:39 am

how can we make the login page to show the signal strength + data rate to the user and the page can help to tell the customer he should connect to the other AP for better connectivity...
Variables containing these stats would have to be added to the list of variables available to the hotspot servlet. Better still, a way to define new variables, and to write scripts that compute their values when needed... For example, I'd love to be able to incorporate the results of '/ system identity print' or any number of other things in a login page.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 am

I have tried to configure the Access-List to do disconnect everyone that has < -65 and it does not work..Less meaning -68,-70,-75 etc... I have tried to do this directly from the manual:

To make it work correctly it is required that client is matched by any of ACL rules.

If we modify ACL rules in previous example to:

/interface wireless access-list
add interface=wlan1 signal-range=-55
add authentication=no forwarding=no interface=wlan1 signal-range=..-70

And I get a syntax error

I have tried many combinations of doing this and IT DOES NOT WORK... If someone actually this to work can you share please.... The way that it is in the manual it does not work.

Thanks everyone...

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Try this :
/interface wireless access-list add interface=wlan1 authentication=no forwarding=no signal-range=-120..-70

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Great that is working now!!!! I greatly appreciate it.. Thanks so much.. I am doing a citywide hotspot with all MT Equipment I have 3 city blocks working great as a pilot using wds.... Its working great but now I am going to have 14 City Blocks and want to have only good connections connect to it!!! I have the burst working perfectly, my routersOS APs are tight and secured, now I have it so I can deployed it correctly and only have mobile and station clients that have good signal connect to it.. All I have left is something that I am still trying to figure out. Here it is, Maybe you guys can help me out:

I need to be able to log the hotspot users: Username, websites “IP Address” visited and timestamp. Logging information then I could be sent to a syslog server or a save it on a disk.

I have been reading about log but cant figure out how to do it. I think I need to configure it somewhere on the topics but cant seem to get it working...

Thanks you,

Daniel

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:38 pm

/system logging action set remote remote=1.1.1.1
/system logging add action=remote topics=hotspot
Just replace the ip with the ip of your syslog server. And see if the info from hotspot is what interests you.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Thank you I will test and let you know..

Daniel

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:25 am

Hello CyberTod,

I have a question for you... I have been seeing people connecting with -80s and still get a good CCQ.... above 30s... Now if i set the signal limits to -70 this users that actually seem to have a good connection wont be able to connect and this means $$. Its CCQ the best way to rate signal communication???

I tried this: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Force_Dis ... th_Low_CCQ but for some reason it disconnects all users, even the good ones!!

Can you or anyone else advice on what I should do in this case?

As I grow I think this issue will go away since there will be on groove metal every 80-100 meters, but I still want to be able to offer a great service and not have the issue if someone inside a concrete wall room with a small window gets the signal mess it all up for everyone else...

I have attached an image of what I am seeing..

Thanks,

Daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:11 am

50% is still a low ccq. I have not tried this script about ccq, but as I read it - it should work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.