Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hotz1
Topic Author

Unicast key exchange timeout over WDS (AP-AP) link

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:22 am

I have several Routerboards that use WDS to connect to each other via (bridged) AP-AP links. Occasionally, I am seeing outages in which Routerboard A thinks the WDS connection is fine (though showing Rx=0), while Routerboard B shows no WDS connection and the log indicates "unicast key exchange timeout". Toggling the radio on Routerboard A usually gets the connection working again.

It sounds like this might be related to a long-standing WDS/WPA2 incompatibiliity. Apart from a forum search (which I have already done), does anyone have any insight into this problem? Is it a basic protocol or hardware incompatibility, or is this simply a bug in ROS that our good friends in Latvia could fix once it reaches the top of their priority queue?

[I will submit supouts from two of the devices, generated during one of these outages, later this evening.]

TheWiFiGuy

Re: Unicast key exchange timeout over WDS (AP-AP) link

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm

I too am seeing this, when using WPA and WDS. Im running 5.18 but have seen it on 5.16 and 5.17 as well. Have not tried earlier versions.

blougaville

Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Any update on this? I've been dealing with the same issue. Other threads have caused me to suspect a problem with WPA security, but so far all of my tinkering has not resolved the problem.

mmirek
just joined

Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:40 pm

I have exactly the same problem. First I thought it was one my AP-s (951) and replaced it with 751 but same thing happened today. First AP sees WDS but cannot access second AP (WDS station). I've disabled wlan1 on AP and enabled it back but it couldn't connect either. Then I did wireless scan and when I closed it WDS connected immediately.

Did someone in Mikrotik managed to reproduce this? Both APs are new 751 with 5.18 on them.

Thanks,
Mirko

kreylor
just joined

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:01 am

I'm seeing the same issues with 5.23, 5.24, and 5.25. The AP's are across the street from each other on identical towers 120 feet tall. This is an AP to AP WDS bridge. The signals are -54,-56. CCQ 100%. I'm getting "EAP failure - timeout" or "Unicast key exchange timeout". Then I get a massive amount of "wlanX, data from unknown device XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX, sent deauth". I can't keep a stable connection longer that 12 hours.

If anyone can give some incite to this issue.... That would be GREAT!

Please don't post "Switch to Station WDS or Station-Bridge" because this will not work with what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks!