Community discussions

MikroTik App

3vidence
just joined
Topic Author

Route bgp error - HoldTimer expired

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Hello to everyone...First time Posting here...
Let me share my problem...
In 100m link I get the following message "Route bgp error - HoldTimer expired". The strange is that when the link works in 5Ghz-A all stats are the best possible with CCQ 100% and signal -60 and Bw test runs normally ,on udp and tcp without timeout with acceptable latency not exceeding 20ms. When i change it to N single chain i have a weird behavior , udp bw test runs normally and when I do a tcp i have timeout and immediately bgp falls with the same message. Bgp timers are set to 30-10 but it makes no difference whether i change them or not because the link continues to have timeout. Targeting is done with 60cm dish from one side and plain feeder on the other.MT v5.20 and tx-power 0.
What could be wrong that the link becomes so unstable when turning into N?
Thanks in advance...

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Route bgp error - HoldTimer expired

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:49 am

i get this if my ospf goes down, and the bgp, dont find its peer. Its the common bla bla bla......different master flag.......bla bla bla erros in ospf. I dont know if you use ospf do distrubute loopbacks for bgp, but in that case, check it. Problem here is if ospf goes down, it sometimes have dificulty goning back online. And after some sec, bgp also goes down, as it cannot reach its peer, with the error, Hold Timer Expired.

3vidence
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:35 am

i get this if my ospf goes down, and the bgp, dont find its peer. Its the common bla bla bla......different master flag.......bla bla bla erros in ospf. I dont know if you use ospf do distrubute loopbacks for bgp, but in that case, check it. Problem here is if ospf goes down, it sometimes have dificulty goning back online. And after some sec, bgp also goes down, as it cannot reach its peer, with the error, Hold Timer Expired.
As i mentioned in my previous post the problem in bgp is caused due to link timeout with specific settings.Read again my first post... :)

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:30 am

Like i told. if a link goes down, the timer have noting to say, if using ospf, as the peer ip is unavalible for a much longer time than the timeout. even if link is back online. it was only a tip. If you are using ospf to distrubute loopback ip, for your BGP (and bandwith test)

I have had this problem some times my self, and it seems like bgp dont work, and bandwith test go to 0. but problem is ospf, lost connection, and dont want to reconnect. Link is up, (agane) but ospf dont send the IP to connect (couse of this master flag status) , and bandwith and BGP (+ all other service, using loopback ip) dissconnect.

and this behavior, could be caused by bad links, or a small drop, caused by some setting. (like nv2 and mimo vs 802.11a)

3vidence
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 pm

I removed the dishes from both sides having lnb aligned by themselves and still have the same behavior.When the bgp drops i noticed that the Overall CCQ doesn't drop. it remains at 90-100%. Still cant figure what is going on...