Community discussions

MikroTik App

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

2 x mt-Sextant, 7 mile in bridge/station - CANT Mac-Telnet

Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:58 am

I just today setup 2 Mt sextants (RB 711-n 's are the hardware on sextants fyi). great link ,great quality. about 7 mile link, -69/-71 RSSI, great CCQ. the "client" side is in station mode, with the SSID set to the "AP" side's ssid. The other side (the side i CAN access) is in bridge mode. again all else is stock config from factory.

however in a rush, i totally forgot to add an IP to the "client" Sextant's Wan1 interface, so i just figured id use Mac-telnet via link.

both are in the fully stock configuration (i did NOT press remove config), all i did was change the wan1 setting on each side to make a link (no encryption).

both are ROS 5.4

However the problem is Mac-Telnet just disconnects after I input Login and password. Mac-Ping works fine and is 1ms solid.

(i tried upgrading the side i have access to, to ROS 5.23, same disconnect on Mac-Telnet. I also tried removing the stock FW rules and adding a chain:INPUT action:ACCEPT Rule, again to only the side i have access to- same disconnection on mac-telnet)

any one have any ideas?
tks

samir494
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: 2 x mt-Sextant, 7 mile in bridge/station - CANT Mac-Tel

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 am

hi jo2jo,

try telnet from radio itself with IP instead of mac-telnet

is possible , reboot that radio by switch it off & on

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:15 am

i cant, i forgot to add an IP address to the WAN before i left (this is stated in the initial post), else i would not have this issue with mac-telnet as i could use telnet and IP.

tks

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:57 pm

OmniTIk has firewall on PoE ether1 port
I hate this problem when u forget or u don't have time to reconfigure it before mounting
its stock configuration - firewall filter rules should be removed by default

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 pm

That's actually incorrect, it appears from what I saw the firewall is on the Wanport. I actually went to the location today and climbed up the tower and when I plugged into the ethernet port I was able to winbox in over layer two, I then added an IP address to the wan interface and of course was able to telnet in over wan, still no explanation as to why Mac telnet between two mikrotiks does not work. Matt tail between

fresnel

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 pm

I have not been able to mac-telnet into any of the SXT devices since I started using them. If I don't set the IP in a routable network and leave the scene it is a real problem. Is there a fix for this?

fresnel

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:08 pm

After some reading I think I found my issue with the SXT's so I thought I'd put here in case it helps others.

I use the SXT's primarily as a transparent bridge. Either bridging ether1/wlan1 or ether1/vlanX.

While the mac-server is enable on "*all" interfaces I found that I had to disable the default and add each one individually to make the mac-telnet work properly. Like this:

/tool mac-server
set [ find default=yes ] disabled=yes
add interface=ether1
add interface=bridge1
add interface=wlan1

When I do this I have verified on every machine I've had trouble mac-telnet works now. Why, I don't know.