Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Trunk with two SXT is possbile?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:59 pm

I need to make a trunk between two SXT (level 3). The SXT must carry normal traffic plus one vlan for voip.
I've found articles using WDS but with level 3 is not possible.
Is there any way to make a trunk with two SXT? or is not possible?

Thanks

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Trunk with two SXT is possbile?

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:58 am

bridge mode would be the same. as long as yor l2mtu is enoug tho pass trough a vlan (1504 as standard) it will work.

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Thank you!

Two quick questions:
- So I just have to check the l2MTU? so simple? not need to create vlan interface in the ether1-wlan1 bridge or some other configuration?
- I never had to change the l2MTU before, and I don't know that may involve. Must I take any precautions? may adversely affect the rest of the traffic?

mikko

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Default l2mtu (about 1520 depending board) is enough to bridge standard packets with vlan headers.

You don't need to create vlan interfaces, but it could be handy to create one vlan interface connected to bridge for administration if your link do not accept untagged packets.

This works good if you do not have duplicate mac-addresses in your network or same mac address used in multiple vlans.
Bridge sees all mac-addresses as one lan (it don't differentiate them by vlan as managed switches) and in case of duplicate mac-addresses in different side of bridge it could cause packets to go wrong direction.

Other option is to differentiate vlans in ethernet port and use bridge per vlan. And then connect these bridges with eoip over wlan. This solution works even there are duplicate mac-addresses in diffrent vlans in diffrent side of link. This is basically same as wiki article about wds per vlan you have read.

Bad point is that sxt is only able to do eoip about 80 Mbit/s without firewall rules. So you may loose little speed.

Jeanluck
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Thank you very much for the info.
At last I understand why I had connection problems when using multiple VLANs on a single bridge....