Community discussions

MikroTik App

Rustbeltdan
Topic Author

Wireless Mesh help with Winbox setup

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm using 2 Metal 2shpn, winbox v5.25, router board firmware 3.02 and would like to setup a wireless mesh like example number 1 here...

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_WDS_Mesh

I've tried following the example to a T and found both of the 2shpn's have the same IP address. I tried changing them here but the software wouldn't let me use a .1 or .2 for the individual units.

I've also tried setting up the router using the Quick Set feature in Winbox. I then tried the setup in the wiki page.

What I would like to do is give each 2shpn a unique ip address. 192.168.1.xxx would be ideal. Another 2shpn will be added into the mix at a later date.

Should I try to configure them using Quick Set first? If not where would I enter the password for the SSID?

Any advice is appreciated.

Rustbeltdan
Topic Author

Re: Wireless Mesh help with Winbox setup

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:45 pm

So I've tried to get the mesh going a bunch of times. Using quickset, using default config, removing default config etc... All 2shpn's are setup with the same SSID, password, frequency etc...

I think I'm good through 6:10 into this video. My only question is why a static mesh is selected in the WDS window and not a dynamic one.
Next part is the IP addresses is where I seem to be having issues.

Let me explain what I'm trying to do. I have a wireless tablet running software for 4 hardware units. They are located in pairs roughly 100ft away from each other. I'd like to have a 2shpn with each of pairs connected to their ethernet port. This would avoid running a 100ft cat5 cable between them. More hardware and 2shpn's will be added in the future. I have manually given all hardware and tablet IP's in the 192.168.1.xxx range. My goal is to have an expandable mesh running with hidden ssid and password protection.

I'm far from an expert on networking, just figuring things out as I go. I really like the capabilities of the Mikrotik units but alot of it is really over my head. Any advice is appreciated.

Rustbeltdan
Topic Author

Re: Wireless Mesh help with Winbox setup

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:30 pm

My hangup was assigning the IP's to individual Metal's. I wasn't using the /24 at the end of the IP address. As I understand it this connotes the subnet 255.255.255.0

Hope this helps someone in the future.