Community discussions

MikroTik App

jayen
just joined
Topic Author

bandwidth with virtualAP

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:55 am

Hi,

We have set up a virtaulAP and meshed it with the master interface. We have noticed a bandwidth drop of 25% when the virtualAP is enabled even though it is inactive. Is this expected? Can we have virtualAP's without a decrease in performance?

Thanks,
Jayen

noib
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: bandwidth with virtualAP

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:53 pm

How do you monitor the "25% drop" of this VirtualAP?

jayen
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:26 am

I ran this command: `ssh wired_host cat /dev/zero > /dev/null` (where wired_host is a host connected to the routerboard by wire. the ethernet interface on the routerboard is also meshed). i let it run for ~10 minutes, with the virtualAP enabled and disabled and looked at the graph on the master wireless interface in the web interface. i ran similar tests with rsync in the other direction (sending bytes from a wireless device to the wired_host) with similar results. you can see in the graphs below that when the virtualAP is disabled, the are drops in bandwidth, but with the virtualAP enabled, the bandwidth is constantly fluctuating, resulting in a 25% average decrease.

with virtualAP disabled:

with virtualAP enabled:

jayen
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:03 am

tried this with a bridge instead of a mesh. results are a bit more predictable.

i don't know what the drop is every two minutes. maybe some buffering thing with the way i'm stressing the connection. but one can see with the virtualAP that the connection takes longer to recover, and is unable to reach the maximum throughput.

with an enabled inactive virtualAP:

without the virtualAP:

stal75
just joined

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:13 am

I have the same problem

stal75
just joined

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:16 am

I decided it. I erased the old configuration and configure a new way. configured identically