MikroTik App

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Want to run onitik on Solar Energy

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:32 am

Hello,

I will be setting up some Omnitiks on some city blocks. I want to use solar energy to have this Omnitiks up and running all the time so I don't have the issue of electrical outage. I did a search and found this:

Powering
The board accepts powering from the Ethernet port (Passive PoE):
• Ethernet port accepts passive Power over Ethernet 8-30VDC. Package contains a 24V adapter and a PoE injector.
Maximum power consumption of the device is 9W.
http://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/OmniTik-U-5HnD-qg.pdf

I also found this about solar energy:
http://www.recgroup.com/en/aboutsolar/b ... lar-maths/

Electrical energy is generally measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh). If a solar panel produces 100 watts for 1 hour, it has produced 100 watt-hours or 0.1 kWh.

In areas with high irradiation, a properly oriented panel that produces 100 Watts at noon on a sunny day will produce an average of about 0.5 kWh/day during the winter and 0.8 kWh/day during the summer months.

In an area with low irradiation, the same panel will still produce about 0.25 kWh/day during the winter and 0.6 kWh/day during summer months.

I am going to do this in Central America, we have lots of sun. So from reading this, I understand that a 100 watt Solar Panel can produce me 500 watts per day. Also from reading the Omnitik specs it only consumes 9 watts per hour.

So my question is the following, Does this mean that if I have a 100 watts panel that produces 500kwh per day and the Omnitik consumes only 9watt hours I would have 55 hours of electricity? What about the battery?

On another post someone said not to use an inverter. So how would I connect the POE?

Basically if someone know about this or already have an Omnitik setup with solar energy, can you guide me?

Thanks

RogerWilco

Re: Want to run onitik on Solar Energy

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:30 am

http://www.scribd.com/read/82742398/Solar-Relay-v2

My solar setup - works fine. Obviously not exactly what you are after but it has solar calculations and other power stuff.

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Let say OmniTik consume 9Wh x 24h = u need 214W per day - so u must produce -/+ 300w per day
in a worst worst case solar can produce 10% of capacity
From my best practice I suggest u to put 200w 24V solar panel (I use them) with combination 2x35Ah battery (with this set u will have +10 days backup) + in near future u can add + one or two SXT and still have working setup.
Don't use inverter because u need 10-28V DC

Remember this 100w of solar can produce less than 100w only when temperature is in range of 15-25 degrees and when sun is on 90 angle degree.
+ 12v system is bad if u use long cables

resizet.jpg
This is my tower I use 3x200W solar and 2x220Ah batteries only for equipment that consume 24V 1.1A running for 6 mounts and still testing
winter is coming and day time is getting little shorter and shorter until 21 of December and still not sure if this setup will work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lakis on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42 pm

You are the best!!! I will not use long cables they will be right next to it. Thanks

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Enjoyed the article, thanks.
An electric fence shock in the small of your back can make you nauseous
LOL, I feel your pain, been shocked by a few of those myself.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Hello,
I decided that we are going to test out the groovr 52hp. I will use the 2.4ghz with thr 6dbi antenna. The unit uses power from 10-30 volts dc so this means I cam use a 12volt battery? Also i have found a 12v 26ah deep cycle battery and a 25 watt solar panel. From looking at the specs of the groove it consumes r.tr watts per hour x 24 its likr 100 watys. So at 5 hours of sun in Nicaragua I should be able to keep that bat charged.

Is all this correct?

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:59 pm

solar panels works most efficiently in cold temperatures somewhere below 25 degrees and 90 degree of sunlight
over all after some short time there will be some dust on panels so efficiently will be lower
at the end all solar panels can work with <80% efficiently (not speaking for clouds)

Nicaragua should be sunny place long days over the year but u should go for min 50W solar

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Hello,
I decided that we are going to test out the groovr 52hp.
Omnitik is an 5Ghz device and Groove 52HPN has an 2,4Ghz omni antenna so you need to buy another antenna for 5Ghz use.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:57 am

Thank you,

Yes we are only going to use 2.4ghz... My question is about the solar energy. I need to know if my calculations are right.

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Thank you guys for the info.. I found some websites that might help someone else, even though the article is great...

GROOVE 52hp Power: Passive 9-30V PoE only. 16KV ESD protection on RF port. Up to 0.19A at 24V (4.56W)

I have a question; what happens if I only use a 12v system to run the Groove? It says I can use from 9-30 volts? There will be only like a foot of cable from the solar system to the radio. Can I use the 12v Solar system?? Will the performance of the groove be the same?

http://www.mathpapa.com/algebra-calculator.html

Just use a=b*c or watts=volts*amps and you can find what you need..
Meaning this, lets say you know how many watts the unit uses so you would do it this way: 4.5=24*y This gives you how many amp hours you will use per hour, then you just multiply times the hours you will be using. Remember to multiply by 1.25 to get an accurate number.

Also if you want to calculate what type of panel you can use:
Calculating the total amp hours... a=24*135 this will give you the amount of watts panel you need.

RogerWilco

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:12 am

I have a question; what happens if I only use a 12v system to run the Groove? It says I can use from 9-30 volts? There will be only like a foot of cable from the solar system to the radio. Can I use the 12v Solar system?? Will the performance of the groove be the same?
Yes, you can run it from 12V just fine with zero performance issues.

Remember too, the power usage is on the MK pages is only the maximum - it doesn't necessarily mean it will use this.

Thanks for the Karma too!

dannyboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:01 pm

RogerWilco,

Thank you very much for the response. Have a great day.