MikroTik App

abyss
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Nv2 QoS

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Everybody,

I would like to have more details about NV2 QoS...

- What is exactly the "built-in QoS policy algorithm" when nv2-qos=default is set ? Does it prioritize by packet size or something else ?
- If mangle rules with set-priority are used, does it pass over nv2 qos default or do I need to use frame-priority ?
- Changing wireless interface queue type to pcq does affect nv2 qos also ?

Thanks and best Regards,
Julien Hoppe
http://www.wifx.net

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Nv2 QoS

Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:25 pm

Check out this Wiki page. It explains it pretty well. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Nv2

abyss
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks,

I already use nv2 in a large network, with some good results, I try to make it better, prevent pppoe disconnection, saturation, etc...
But I didn't answer what is exactly the "built-in QoS policy algorithm" ?

I should update the documentation if I can get an answer... For the 2 other questions, I can maybe do some tests...

Best regards,
Julien Hoppe

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:10 am

Rather old topic, but better ask here instead of making a new one.
As other have asked - what exactly is the 'default' value for NV2 QoS. And please don't send me to the wiki. All that is written there is 'based on size and type'. Ok but what exactly does that mean. I guess smaller packets get higher priority - that is good. But what about type - which types get higher priority and what exactly type means here. I know it is a proprietary protocol after all and don't need very detailed information, but at least better than this.
Does it somehow at least reads DSCP,TOS and if not can Mikrotik team implement an option - from DSCP. The reason I ask for this option is because if I mangle all packets with target set priority from dscp (high 3 bits) it works, but on a 100mbit+ link that uses a lot of CPU and a Netbox 5 goes to 70+ % and that increases latency even though icmp has priority 7 and almost everything else has lower priority.
And last I don't like other vendors, but Airmax reads DSCP information by default. I don't mind the extra rules in my config, but want to know more how to make this work with least CPU strain.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 16, 2016 4:02 am

Rather old topic, but better ask here instead of making a new one.
As other have asked - what exactly is the 'default' value for NV2 QoS. And please don't send me to the wiki. All that is written there is 'based on size and type'. Ok but what exactly does that mean. I guess smaller packets get higher priority - that is good. But what about type - which types get higher priority and what exactly type means here. I know it is a proprietary protocol after all and don't need very detailed information, but at least better than this.
Does it somehow at least reads DSCP,TOS and if not can Mikrotik team implement an option - from DSCP. The reason I ask for this option is because if I mangle all packets with target set priority from dscp (high 3 bits) it works, but on a 100mbit+ link that uses a lot of CPU and a Netbox 5 goes to 70+ % and that increases latency even though icmp has priority 7 and almost everything else has lower priority.
And last I don't like other vendors, but Airmax reads DSCP information by default. I don't mind the extra rules in my config, but want to know more how to make this work with least CPU strain.
Did you ever find out?

CyberTod
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon May 16, 2016 12:17 pm

No. Haven't found more information on what the default actually is.
All I am sure is that it gives some priority to smaller packets.