Community discussions

MikroTik App

rgruyters
just joined
Topic Author

Nest thermostat and setting the DTIM- and beacon interval

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:56 am

Last week I had some issues with my Nest thermostat. I had opened a support ticket with Nest Labs and they responded me with the following message:
It sounds like your battery may be draining or there is some sort of interference with the communication on Nest.

The best way to resolve this is to adjust 2 settings in your router. This will completely resolve your issue. Change your DTIM interval to 3 and your beacon interval to 211. Once you have done this, reset your Nest and this issue should not arise again.
How can I change the DTIM- and the beacon interval?

I have a 2011UAS-2HnD Routerboard running RouterOS version 6.6.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Nest thermostat and setting the DTIM- and beacon interva

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 pm

You can't change such settings in RouterOS, and I think most of other manufacturers also don't offer it.

Which frequency does Nest use? Maybe simply changing the frequency will stop interference

sbertcn
just joined

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:14 am

You can't change such settings in RouterOS, and I think most of other manufacturers also don't offer it.

Which frequency does Nest use? Maybe simply changing the frequency will stop interference
Most of wifi router support change DTIM & Beacon Interval, it's basic wifi setting.
Large DTIM & Beacon Interval can save battery, but low performance & increase delay

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Nest thermostat and setting the DTIM- and beacon interval

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:58 pm

in terms of the beacon interval alone,  i dont see how that would in anyway affects the battery life of a client device (or a nest in your case).  Please correct me if im wrong but the beacon interval is essentially how often your AP transmits its SSID and other basic info like channel and B/G/N protocol, (right?)

How would that affect a client device's battery?  from the client side i would assume a beacon frame is only useful during the initial connection / handshake (since your NEST will always connect to the same AP,  that is the AP it was initally setup to always connect to).  Additionally,  its not like the NEST is a type of device that would be roaming around and need to process other beacons to find a better signal.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Most of wifi router support change DTIM & Beacon Interval, it's basic wifi setting.
I have never seen it in a typical home WiFi router, which should be the target platform for such devices.
When the Nest can only work with changed settings, return it as unfit for use.

netflow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Nest thermostat and setting the DTIM- and beacon interval

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:41 am

With RouterOS, you might possibly want to play with Multicast Helper settings to see if that changes anything.
Otherwise TP-Link routers/AP are cheap, they all have that option under advanced settings and might save you some headache.

@Normis they are already hunderts of wifi options why not supply those as well ?

Interesting reading http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.c ... r-WLAN.htm.