Community discussions

MikroTik App

icanet
just joined
Topic Author

802.1x Wifi Authentication Timeout

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Dear Board,

I don't understand the following behaviour, maybe one of you can give me a hint?

I configured a VM with Freeradius and advice some Mikrotik Routerboards to authenticate the WiFi connections against the Radius server. Everything works fine, except one strange thing:

1. A Windows 7 notebooks try to connect to the SSID
2. In my Routerboard > Wireless > Registration I can see the client
3. In the RouterOS Log I see an entry like: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx@myssid: connected
4. A popup occurs in Windows 7 and asks for the user credentials
5. After 8-10 seconds I see in my RouterOS Log: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx@ disconnected, 802.1x authentication timeout
6. If I now put in the credentials, I got an error message from Windows 7, which seems to be very logical

To sum this behaviour up:

I really have to hurry up, because if I'm to slow (<8-10 seconds) I will get the same window for the credentials again and again and again until I'm fast enough. I checked with a Linux OS and there the timeout value seems to be much higher.

Where is this timeout value defined? Is there a possibility to increase this timeout in RouterOS or Windows?

Thanks!!!

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: 802.1x Wifi Authentication Timeout

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 pm

What is your RADIUS timeout value in the MikroTik? The default is 300ms, so you may want to change to some much higher.

icanet
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:19 am

I changed my radius timeout in different manners, but in my oppinion this effect isn't influenced by Radius. Because the Windows notebook disconnects after 8-10 seconds, even If I have not finished to type in the credentials. :(

fmcfmc
just joined

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:39 am

Hi.
I know it is quite old post but I have this same problem. Did you find the solution? I will be appreciate if you describe it here.

Thanks
Rafal