Community discussions

MikroTik App

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

RF shielding does it help?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:48 pm

I come across this url rfarmor.com, I know sometimes Metal shielding can help but not as rfarmor says "Up to 50% increase in performance / throughput with shielding!"
as I can see they offer "metal shielding " for anntena/radio that eliminate "collocation interference, greatly reduce foreign/hostile interference" and etc etc

Have someone ever tried?

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RF shielding does it help?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Shield is a good thing. I have not tried this product, but in general, shield will make better signals.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Well depending on how bad co-location interference is, a 50% increase in performance is not unexpected using good rf shielding, but this figure not max card performance + 50% but onsite actual performance +50%,

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:53 pm

So basically shielded SXT should look something like that :D
sxtrfs.png
Just adding aluminum foil should increase SXT back and side sides resistants to interference
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:21 pm

So basically shielded SXT should look something like that

Just adding aluminum foil should increase SXT back and side sides resistants to interference
This is outside RF screening only, you also have to screen the board and radio card from the internal antenna.

frego

Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I have a 90 degree sector with a 2.4 rocket in a very noisy environment. I have 6 subscribers hooked to it with only a 5 MHz channel width. I'm using this to hit some customers that are in treed areas of course. The tower has a high noise floor, -81db. But each client has a relatively quiet noise floor; roughly 10-15db better. My problem is always that the CPE can hear the AP well enough, but the AP can barely hear the CPE due to the high noise floor.

I added RF armor and saw not only an improvement of background noise for this AP, but also for the other couple of PtP 2.4 radios that I have near that access point, even though they are on other channels. Expect 1 db maybe 2 or 3, depending on how crowded that spectrum is. I did see a doubling, but that is for a very specific case with much noise.

As a side note, I had a couple of customers hitting this AP such that the angle between them was greater than the 90 degrees given by the sector. Adding the shielding did adversely effect the clients on the fringe of the 90 degree signal. So the shielding definitely does as it advertises. I consider this a good thing.

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:39 pm

I have a link near a Weather radar, if the radar is turned of i get a troughput of 60/45 Mbit over 3 hops in total, with the radar on it's more like 25/8 Mbit , now six months ago i installed some cheap RF shielding from antenny24 and performance went up to 45/25 Mbit, so yes it does help.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:39 am

Of course shielding helps to reduce self interference. I would prefer an Antenna which has
already builtin shielding. A metal plate is best. The SXT Sector has an internal shield coating.

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:10 pm

internal shield coating.
I think I sow that on latest SXT 5HPnD

does some one know easy and cheep way to apply RF shield on SXT, Sextant ..? Something like Aluminium Spray..

ddd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:35 am

Has anyone played around with RF Shielding paint?
If it works it could be an easy way to cut out some background noise.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:13 pm

I have used conductive carbon paint and it does work but requires a sealer to prevent some coming loose and which could lodge on a board?
But as already mentioned it is best to use antennas that have good RF shielding.

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:55 pm

I have used conductive carbon paint and it does work but requires a sealer to prevent some coming loose and which could lodge on a board?
But as already mentioned it is best to use antennas that have good RF shielding.

nice nice, Thx for info dude
I m asking this because on some location I have 3-4 SXT/SEXTANT one to each-other (1-4 meters) I m not sure about carbon logical aluminium should do better
but if u say so I can try carbon
I have found this on google
http://www.2spi.com/catalog/spec_prep/c ... nts3.php#7
if u can see if this can do a jоb? if I can improve - reduce interference between units for about 10-30% I will be rely happy

Tnx.

This is my future request, Mikrotik should make special SXT/SEXTANT units with improved RF shielding in some cases they can get rely handy.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:36 am

Shielding like you show above (with foil) doesn't decrease self interference, it only increases it, because it makes reflections, and signal bounces around inside the shield. Without the shield, this will not happen. This is why professional shielding will absorb the signal, not reflect it.

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:56 am

Picture above was more like a joke
What I was looking for is how to reduce interference between units when they are close one to each-other
Since I m looking for SXT/SEXTANT RF Shielding rf-armor com is out of the question

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 am

Shielding like you show above (with foil) doesn't decrease self interference, it only increases it, because it makes reflections, and signal bounces around inside the shield. Without the shield, this will not happen. This is why professional shielding will absorb the signal, not reflect it.
I agree but RF signal propagation it very complex and depending where this shielding is placed in relation to radiating element(s) it could result in signal cancelation from antenna.
RF Absorbers that attenuate signals is one solution.
I don’t understand why a RF reflector is not used to increase forward gain and then the use of RF Absorber material to provide shielding,
And which Made for Mikrotik companies use professional shielding in their products?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:02 pm

I agree but RF signal propagation it very complex and depending where this shielding is placed in relation to radiating element(s) it could result in signal cancelation from antenna.
RF Absorbers that attenuate signals is one solution.
I don’t understand why a RF reflector is not used to increase forward gain and then the use of RF Absorber material to provide shielding,
And which Made for Mikrotik companies use professional shielding in their products?
I am not sure, but like I said, new SXT products already come with shielded case.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 pm

I am not sure, but like I said, new SXT products already come with shielded case.
The shielded case is to reduce co-location interference while antenna is in listen mode but this shield could (and probably does) cause signal to bounce around inside the antenna and perhaps cause some RF level reduction while the antenna is in transmit mode, so a really good design would have RF shielding to reduce co-location interference and then use RF absorption material between this shield and radiating element(s). Do you know of any such “Professional” units?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:22 am

The shielded case is to reduce co-location interference while antenna is in listen mode but this shield could (and probably does) cause signal to bounce around inside the antenna and perhaps cause some RF level reduction while the antenna is in transmit mode, so a really good design would have RF shielding to reduce co-location interference and then use RF absorption material between this shield and radiating element(s). Do you know of any such “Professional” units?
Such things would also make the units much more expensive. We currently don't have devices with such type of shielding like you describe.

sonny
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:19 am

Hi Lakis,

e are producing RF shield for SXT and Jirous JC-320 duplex.
contact me by email ks (at) poe-ups.com.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:23 am

Such things would also make the units much more expensive. We currently don't have devices with such type of shielding like you describe.
My understanding in the use of the word “Professional” is to describe a product that is constructed to the highest standards and performance is the highest achievable, whereas price is not the most important criteria applied to this product?
So I would ask manufacturers to give us “Professional” products and not something where visual impact is the only part of the product that the word professional could be used?

Or if price is the issue then offer to the customer options to upgrade the product to fully professional performance?

adilsemedo
just joined

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:56 am

Hi,

Can someone please indicating where can i find professional "RF armor / shielding" for these Mikrotik Antennas:
  • mANT 19S
  • mANT 15s
These antennas cause of plastic material, sound to me they have high back lobe radiation, causing some interference with another far one.
We´re thinking in purchase another kind of antennas, but first it´would be usefull to test some kind of RF armor.

BitHaulers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:28 am

https://www.ispsupplies.com/WaveGuard-WG-MANT-15

The dimensions look identical to the 2.4 MANT as well.