MikroTik App

Ephisray
just joined
Topic Author

Create fake wireless client

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 am

Hey,
I bought this RouterBoard: http://routerboard.com/RB911G-5HPnD

I would like to create something like a "fake" wireless client, so that the router thinks there is a wireless device, lets say with ip "192.168.88.5", but in reality there is no device. So I want be able to sent from one device packets to "192.168.88.5" and the router then should send the packets, as like there would be be a real device.
I think with a protocol like UDP this should be no problem, because there the router doesnt care about what was received and what not. The router just sends.

You may ask why I need this: I am listening with another device in monitor mode, so this device is not connected with the wireless network of my routerboard, but it should receive packets from a device which is in the network of the router board.

One bad "hardware" solution for my problem would be for example a raspberry pi with a wlan adapter which joins the routerboard wifi network . But this is a real bad solution because I dont want to need extra hardware and I think theoretically it is very easy to let the router think there would be a wireless device.

But is this possible with RouterOS?

MadEngineer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Create fake wireless client

Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:41 am

Not sure exactly what you're after but you could add that address to the board however the data won't be broadcasted over wireless, if that's what you're trying to achieve. You need a physical layer for data flow

Ephisray
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:11 am

I need the data broadcasted over wireless. So it is not possible with RouterOS?

Ephisray
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:33 am

Maybe I should ask in a different way: Is there any possibility to just send wireless packets to no specific IP? So just let the Router send the packets but leaves the destIP in the IP Header blank?

Ephisray
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:21 am

No ideas? :(

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:27 am

Yu must write you own wifi driver and kernel, if you want transmit like a walkie-talkie.

Wireless radio, except beacon SSID packet, can be forced to transmit any, but the other side must be linked to the wifi.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:56 pm

I am not within access to my networks now, but as I understood you need just replying ip address, not wireless client or other stuff. For this I would try to create a new bridge, give ip to it and try to ping it. Other way can be a firewall rule that changes the outgoing ip address of packets aiming to the device expecting the special sender. Maybe you should try to describe more precisely, seems that we have problems to understand what you want to achieve and especially what are the reasons for that.

Ephisray
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:30 pm

I am not within access to my networks now, but as I understood you need just replying ip address, not wireless client or other stuff.
If there is no wireless client then the router doesnt send the packets over wireless, right?
Other way can be a firewall rule that changes the outgoing ip address of packets aiming to the device expecting the special sender.
The Problem is, to make the Routerboard transmitting the Routerboard over wireless. When the outgoing IP Adress isnt in the routers wireless clients list, he just doesnt transmit the packets...
Maybe you should try to describe more precisely, seems that we have problems to understand what you want to achieve and especially what are the reasons for that.
I will try to.

I want to achieve "unidirectional Wifi". The sender is the routerboard. It has one client connected over LAN. This client is taking images from a camera and encoding them to small JPEGs.
The receiver is a normal Wifi USB Stick which is connected to a computer. This Wifi Stick is not connected to the Routerboards Network, but it is receiving in monitor mode, so every packet the routerboard sends out or receives (over wireless) the wifi stick also is receiving. Of course the routerboard wifi is without encryption.

So the one connected client to the routerboard wants to send packets to the wifi stick, which is not connected to the routerboard, but the stick receives any packets that are send between the client and the routerboard.

Why I need this? The sender (Routerboard and client) are mounted on my quadcopter. The client takes single images from a camera, encodes them and sends them to the ground, where the wifi stick is listening in monitor mode and then the computer displays the image on a monitor. This is called FPV (First Person View) flying.
Why I want not to connect the ground receiver to the routerboards network? Because it would make the transmission unreliable and would not allow for example using a helical antenna on the ground, because it has very high gain and would increase the output power of the receiver as lot over regulatory restrictions. But with my method, since the receiver is not sending anything, just receiving, I can put an antenna with very high gain there.
A normal connection would be unreliable, because if there would be any obstacle between me (wifi stick, ground) and the copter (routerboard, air) the wifi connection could break and the ground wifi stick would may "leave" the wifi and not connect again, and so wouldn't listen for packets coming in.
With my unidirectional method this wouldn't be a problem, since it always listens for packets coming from the sender.

I hope you now understand what I'm trying to achieve. There has to be some simple possibility for just saying the router "hey, don't care about what you do, just send this packets over wireless".

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:17 am

Yu must write you own wifi driver and kernel, if you want transmit like a walkie-talkie.

Wireless radio, except beacon SSID packet, can be forced to transmit any, but the other side must be linked to the wifi.
You already have my answer.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:16 am

I am sorry. This is not the way how wifi networks work. You should obtain special devices for this purpose because you cannot transmit with mikrotik devices in this way.

Ephisray
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 am

I know this is not how wifi networks "usually" work.

Like I said in the first post, it is possible with some extra hardware which connects itself to the routerboard. I think this is still more easy and cheap then with "special devices", right? About what special devices are you talking?
I just dont like the "extra hardware solution" because it adds weight to the quadcopter, and weight is just the thing you care most about. For every other condition the hardware solution wouldnt be any problem.

I guess its just a single if-loop which would have to be removed from the routerOS for getting the stuff I want working...
If amountOfWirelessDevices > 0 then transmit packets over wireless
Something like this is in the code, and this ">0" is just the whole problem... So dont say something like "rewrite whole drivers and kernels".

Devs, cant you just implement it for me? :lol:

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:29 am

I am sure mikrotik will not make such special single purpose modification with no connection to the networking. As appropriate device I meant video transmitter like used for surveillance or spy systems. If you want to make your own software install openwrt instead ros because ros is not opened for custom development.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:31 am

but WHY ?

Ephisray
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:55 pm

but WHY ?
Uhm, what? Buy why what? :shock:

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:20 pm

What buy why? Not buy but but!

Ephisray
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:44 am

Sorry... So, but why what?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:04 am

Why mikrotik should implement it for you?