Community discussions

MikroTik App

cylent
Topic Author

wifi on routerboard is bad compared to ubnt picostation

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:50 pm

ok the subject says it all.

i'll explain.

i've been struggling with the wifi on my routerboard which has a AR5213 mini-pci card.

when the wifi (AR5213) on the routerboard is active and i use it from my laptop and i ping the routerboard i get mad crazy pings of 100's to 500's to 1000's and even lots of pauses.
today i switched to another AR5213 mini pci card which i have a 10db omni antenna connected to and while the ping is somewhat better its still higher than 50s to 100's ....

then i went and got a ubnt picostation m2.
this picostation m2 is connected to the routerboard because its my gateway via LAN.
ping to the routerboard VIA the picostation is 0 - 1 for most of the time!!! very ironic... i am stil pinging the routerboard expect via the picostation wifi. and ping is wonderful!

ping to the routerboard VIA the AR5213 which is installed on the routerboard is horrible.

this is a deal killer. i dont want to give up using mikrotik boards but this is a deal break! I have tried all sorts of settings. i tried B mode, G alone, B/G. all same results.

with the picostation it feels like i have a cable connected to my laptop... but connecting via the AR5213 wifi card its a nightmare!

please help!

[admin@UBNT] > /interface wireless print 
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
0 X name="wlan1" mtu=1500 mac-address=00:80:48:72:C3:6A arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros AR5213 mode=ap-bridge ssid="MikroTik-Home00" frequency=2437 band=2ghz-onlyg channel-width=20mhz scan-list=default wireless-protocol=802.11 antenna-mode=ant-a wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=no default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=profile2 compression=yes 

1 name="wlan2" mtu=1500 mac-address=00:15:6D:55:A8:4B arp=enabled interface-type=Atheros AR5213 mode=ap-bridge ssid="Homework " frequency=2412 band=2ghz-b/g channel-width=20mhz scan-list=default wireless-protocol=any antenna-mode=ant-b wds-mode=disabled wds-default-bridge=none wds-ignore-ssid=no bridge-mode=enabled default-authentication=yes default-forwarding=yes default-ap-tx-limit=0 default-client-tx-limit=0 hide-ssid=no security-profile=profile2 compression=no 

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wifi on routerboard is crap compared to ubnt picostation

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:31 pm

What's the signal on the laptop from minipci?
Try to set antenna-mode=ant-b to ant-a and look to the signal.
I main not the protocol but the antenna connector A

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wifi on routerboard is bad compared to ubnt picostation

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Is the problem by solved?