Community discussions

MikroTik App

alexistkd
Topic Author

firewall solution for wisp

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Hi, i would like to know what do u guys recommend me as firewall for my wisp server between the internet and my clients any solution to secure my server any firewallOs or firewall hardware that i could use?

thank you very much.

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: firewall solution for wisp

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:49 pm

What equipment do you already have? The question needs some context like existing equipment, number of clients, ISP connection speed etc. .

troy

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Your question is so broad, it would take a book to answer it. There are a lot of books out there, take your pick!

In terms of hardware and/or OS, this is a MT forum, so I would assume that you have ROS running on a RB of some sort... perfectly suited for a basic firewall appliance.

Onto the configuration...

The general ideas behind building a firewall are pretty simple, but you need to first ask a few questions with regards to the types of networks you want to protect and the types of firewalls that are appropriate for each.

So, what are you zones?
*) Data Center
*) Co-Located customers
*) Hosted customers
*) Broadband customers
**) Residential
**) Business
**) Enterprise

Residential and Business customers may not even need firewalls, as they can sit behind NAT, so incoming connections are blocked anyways. If you insist on giving these customers real addresses, simply block incoming connections on privileged and well known ports. Anything more than that, and they'll have you chasing your tail to figure out why things aren't working.

You will probably want to protect these customers from each other as well, but you don't need a firewall to do this, just configure end-to-end client isolation to prevent any sideways communication.

Co-located and Enterprise customers should have raw access (no firewall at all), they can take care of themselves.

For your data center, allow those services you need and block everything else. Restrict access to sensitive services to approved source addresses, or maybe only through a VPN connection.

As for the specific configuration of your firewall(s), it's going to be specific to your needs, so we can't provide the answers, but it should be pretty easy to figure out once you have the logic down.

Good luck!

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 pm

Hi, i would like to know what do u guys recommend me as firewall for my wisp server between the internet and my clients any solution to secure my server any firewallOs or firewall hardware that i could use?

thank you very much.
Mikrotik OS has already build in firewall
One of most simplest way u can use 2 Mikrotik routers one for firewall one for routing
Internet--Mikrotik Firewall (filter for all packets )--MT server or what ever-server u prefer (where u route the traffic)-- clients

Or u can do both on one powerfull machine with MT OS

PeterSullivan

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:07 pm

If you are using MikroTik firewall then you no need to worry about. Because I has already a built in Firewall. If you want for 2 to 3 pcs then I suggest you to go for McAfee.