Community discussions

MikroTik App

pdanger
just joined
Topic Author

Create Wireless Bridge with RB951-2n

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:41 pm

Hello, first post here, please go easy :D

I am looking to see if I can set up an RB951-2n as a wireless bridge/switch, to function in a similar way to a Cisco WES610n (bridge with 4 port switch). I have a couple non-wifi network components in a room with no Ethernet, and would like to get them connected to the main network. I want the main router to provide the DHCP for the components connected to the bridge.

The main router is an RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN, with 2 wifi networks created (main, and guest which uses a vlan)

I can get the RB951 to connect to my network using station mode, but where I am stuck is in configuring the rest of the router so the Ethernet ports are properly tied to the wlan.

The steps I have tried (among many) are as follows:
1. Set wireless to bridge mode, connect to main wifi.
2. Set one single ether port as the master (ether 1, though I have tried other single ports as well).
3. Assign the other ether ports to ether 1 (slave).
4. Create a bridge and assign both ether 1 and wlan to the bridge.

I have not eliminated any of the factory DHCP, address, pool or other settings. I suspect this may be an issue as well, but I couldn't find any information regarding this.

So far I have had no luck in getting this to work. My MikroTik experience is modest; I have been studying configurations for months, and have also set up a couple of RB750GL's.
I have been reading on the forum for months also, but I have not come across the scenario that I am attempting. I do apologize if this is a duplicate.

Any help, or being pointed in the right direction is really appreciated.

Thanks!

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Create Wireless Bridge with RB951-2n

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:19 pm

First I would reset the router with no default config. Then it sounds like you did everything right besides the wireless mode. Try using station-bridge instead of bridge.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... tion_Modes

pdanger
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Create Wireless Bridge with RB951-2n

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks cbrown!

That link definitely helps with understanding the modes.

I guess it was actually station mode that I was trying initially. I did try station-bridge last night and it seems to be working, with a few issues.

I have 6.7 on the 951 which has the quick set function, and when playing with the modes there I found that it set the 951 to station-bridge mode, and changed a few other settings (created a bridge, etc.). My laptop connected to an ether port got assigned the proper IP from the 2011, and internet appeared to be fine.

One issue I had is that I tried to set a static IP (192.168.50.200) for the 951 on the 2011 using the DHCP reservation method, and it would work for a while. When I unplugged my laptop from the 951 and plugged into a different port on the 951, the 2011 DHCP table showed the 951 being assigned a different IP such as .101 or .103, and no longer had the .200; why would this be? I was able to correct this by setting the IP to static in the 951 but still found it odd.

One other question. How do I reset the router with no default config? And conversely, how can I make the router default to my new config in case somebody were to try to reset it? Sorry for the newb questions :?

Thanks again for your time.