Community discussions

MikroTik App

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Product suggestion - RJ45 Cable Test

Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Product suggestion for Mikrotik after having encountered on many occasions where a PTP link board is being powered but the only access is by Wlan interface and Winbox is indicating no Ether connectivity

Is it possible to test connectivity on the RJ45 (T568B standard)
Pin 1 White/Orange = TX+
Pin 2 Green = TX-
Pin 3 White/Green = RX+
Pin 6 Green Rx- = RX-
If a test could be done to check pins 1,2,3,6 and if say for example all 4 pins did not respond it could indicate either cable is broken (pins1,2,3,6) but POE leads OK or device at other end is powered down or blown,
If there was a response from one or more pins then this would indicate break in Cat5

karina

Re: Product suggestion - RJ45 Cable Test

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:25 pm

Interesting idea but I think this is already covered by the R symbol on the interface, I am not sure the information gained from a deeper analysis would be any benefit as your going to have to visit regardless

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: Product suggestion - RJ45 Cable Test

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:54 am

Interesting idea but I think this is already covered by the R symbol on the interface, I am not sure the information gained from a deeper analysis would be any benefit as your going to have to visit regardless
The R (running) symbol on the interface, will not be active when there is say a break in one of the data leads of a cat5 - say pin6, for example for the last fault if I could have told rigger onsite and I was remote, that there was a cable break going into PTP or possible corrosion which results in contact breaks due to water getting into water RJ45, either the rigger could fix, and on some masts to run even a temporary cable is a big job, but I had to arrive thinking it maybe board failure and possibly require some programming?
Another is more practical use is diagnostic – leave on test for a period of time – to check for intermittent faults like a cable momentary breaks in say very high winds and routing (OSPF) goes haywire and then returns to normal, if results indicate a stable connection then this will rule out cable faults when trying to pin-point what is causing a issue.