Community discussions

MikroTik App

Dimaod
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless help needed

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 pm

Hello, I am just started using MikroTik RB951G-2HnD.
I have a small network with 10 machines (all of them working on N mode), all of them using RouterBoard in wireless mode located in 1 flat.
I have PPoE connection WAN which is working great and rest of all working great with 1 issue that strange.
When I am loading torrent I get around 60Mbits thats quite enough in terms of my Internet connection (its max I think).
But when I am trying to transfer files locally over Wi-Fi (to same machine I was testing torrent) via Skype (its p2p as I remember) or AirDrop (Apple utility) I get speed around 10-20 mbits max.

What can be the issue?
And, if I am using MikroTik RB951G-2HnD only as Wi-Fi device, what is must have setting for me, thx!

troy

Re: Wireless help needed

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:58 pm

802.11 is a half-duplex spec. With 802.11n MCS7 @ 40Mhz, you have a max rate of 150. Coding at 5/6, you get 125Mbit/s maximum throughput at Layer 2. Depending on the Layer 3 overhead and other traffic, the best you'll be able to do in practice, is 90-100Mbit/s.

With one wireless and one wired device, you should be able to get very close to that 90Mbit/s total throughput.

If, however, both devices are wireless on the same AP, the AP has to split it's time between those two devices. This means that your bandwidth is cut in half.

To expand further, if one of the devices is associated at a lower data rate, you're limited to about 1/2 of the maximum throughput of that rate. On my laptop, for example, I generally connect at MCS5 @ 20Mhz, or 52Mbit/s. With a coding rate of 2/3, I get about 34Mbit/s usable bandwidth. If I transfer a file to my file server, it goes at about 28Mbit/s, but if I transfer to another wireless device on the same AP, I only get about half that speed. It could be more or less, depending on the association rate of the other device, but I really don't want to get into the math to figure all that out.

Hope this helps!

Dimaod
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 am

oh, troy, thx for you reply and kind support!
the reason I was worrying is that on TimeCapsule I was able to get around 2-3MB with computer standing near me
and now its around 1-1.5MB
but, you've ruined some of my mistakes :)

Dimaod
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Any ideas why I receive - data from unknown devices: sent deauth for my PS3?
Was searching for all Internet - no solution.
All other devices working just fine.

Dimaod
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:26 pm

PS3 - Playstation 3, trying to connect to Mikrotik, even created new SSID network with no auth, same thing. :(

Dimaod
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:56 pm

also, I can't run spectral scan. Tried via Winbox, via Dude - just get kicked out of router after command.
help will be appreciated.

Dimaod
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:02 pm

PS3 working, just made manual connection setup, so if anyone will have same issue - try manual instead of automatic
than, if anyone can help me with right traffic allocation for 10 wifi users? so no one will suffer from another
maybe any ready solutions