Community discussions

MikroTik App

ursulache
just joined
Topic Author

Point to Point over 450m with limited line of sight in urban

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Hello all,
This is my first post here and my first installation.

I would like to setup a PtP link between my home and a friend's in order to share internet (he has fiber, I don't) + file transfer and other stuff.

We live on the same street (4 lane boulevard) on opposite sides of the road at 450 m (according to google maps) from each other.

Due to regulations we can't really install any mast or other protruding mounting poles for the equipment. So the equipment will have to be mounted very close to the building's wall and the signal path will be almost parallel to these walls. I have attached a picture from google maps:Image.

As can be seen there are a few trees and probably lighting poles in the los.

I was thinking of using the SXT 5 lite due to cost concerns and because there are a truck load of 2.4 GHz private and public wifi around.

Considering all this do you think We have any chance of having a reliable link of a few tens of Mb/s (hopefully 100 Mb/s:P)?

What would be the best way to ground the equipment? Keep in mind that these are apartment buildings and i think that only the electrical network ground is available to us. Would a shielded network cable be enough?

What other things should I keep in mind and pay attention to?

Thank you!

P.S. I am living in France and so far have not found a seller that has any kind of return policy. If anyone knows of one, that would be very helpful as it would mean I can buy and test the equipment on site.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Point to Point over 450m with limited line of sight in u

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:25 pm

a good advice: Use not 2.4GHz for point to point link but 5 GHz frequency.
If trees stand in the los this is not good for performance, Trees absorb the signal also buildings.
For configuration see this http://www.wirelessinfo.be/index.php/mi ... /omnitikpp
Is antother device but is still the same, folow the printscreens that i made (is dutch)