Community discussions

MikroTik App

wokinit
Topic Author

Groove's with Ethernet connections how to setup WDS mesh

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Greetings!

I am struggling with this and i know i have the setup close but it seems as thought in testing this in my lab my config causes some kind of broadcast storm that boots all NICS off network.

I have say 3 or 10 Groove's that all are using the Ethernet to the same broadcast LAN. I had them setup with alternating channels, same SSID, same security, same default route, different IP's on the LAN. In this particular enviroment the users of the wireless are running around a lot with tablets (sales) and the disconnecting and connecting of the mostly Apple devices is not working good for them. It times out their web based sales apps. So i figure ok we will try the WDS mesh setup. I am struggling with the part in the mesh setup of what interface to use... none of my devices need to bridge over wi-fi.

I can post configs but figured i would ask first for the concept... i think i can figure the config if i know the concept.
i have used this Wiki http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_WDS_Mesh

Thanks in advance! :)

Rustbeltdan

Re: Groove's with Ethernet connections how to setup WDS mesh

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 am

There's a lot of gaps in that wiki. Maybe this will help...

wokinit
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:43 am

THanks for the video,
I have tried this.... this sets up WDS over the wifi, that wont work.
I need to have the mesh functionality over the fast ethernet connections.

simple concept... roaming users stay connected... the process of most devices switching AP's when you factor in the applications etc is over 5 seconds.

I am starting to believe Mikrotik has no real "roaming" wifi ? I know Juniper, (recently acquired Trapeze) has a bad ass one.

Rustbeltdan

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:39 pm

How large of an area do you need to cover? Not sure if this setup would work for you as I use it to control hardware. My setup is an AP bridge and 3 stations, all are Metal 5shpn. I connect to the AP bridge (controls hardware 1,2,3) with a tablet, stations control hardware #5,6,7. I've had no problems covering controlling the hardware at 100+ yards with this setup with zero dropouts. Not sure if this would work for your purposes.