Community discussions

MikroTik App

izivkovic
just joined
Topic Author

Decreasing transmit power of RB411 & R52n-M

Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:16 pm

Hello,

my name is Ivan Zivkovic and I'm IT administrator in camping village Simuni. I'm into mikrotik some time now and I think it is great piece of equipment! I have some questions if anybody is willing to answer. In my camp I have some 25 ap-s. All mikrotik RB411 and RB433 mostly with R52n-M cards. Half of them are connected directly to LAN and other half is interconnected with 5ghz links. For the coming season I'm planning to install maybe 10 AP-s more. Now I'm facing with problem of interferences of some AP-s. I'm using channels 1-6-11 mostly to avoid channel mixing. I have to have lot of AP-s because it it really crowded place over summer (5000 people) and terrain is very difficult. Lots of trees and houses, campers and so on. I have to reduce transmit power of some AP-s. For example. I have RB 433 with 3 cards of wich two are for 5ghz links and one is 2.4n AP. Some 60 - 70 meters I have another AP which is RB411 2.4g AP connected with 433 (this one is on higher ground also). I have bad performance with RB411 because RB433 with cards is using n protocol and is also covering that area (its on edge). When I connect to RB411 I get IP address and everything is working but is says that I'm connected to 2.4gn network. How can that be? It should be only 2.4g right? Now I want to reduce transmit power of RB433 mini pci card that I'm using for AP. I was reading that there are two ways. Set manual TX power or set antena gain. All my AP-s are in regulatory domain of Croatia and antenna gain is set to 0. Is it safe to reduce TX power, I know that it is dangerous for card to increase TX power beyond its limits. I was looking everywhere but cannot get it really. Is there anybody who can help me with this?

izivkovic
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Decreasing transmit power of RB411 & R52n-M

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:37 am

I have tried with antenna gain and it works. But what really happens when I increase antenna gain in options? I also solved my problem. Antennas were just too much close and interference were strong. I just moved it some 15 meters away behind bungalows and decreased its tx power and now is stable. And I forgot to mention that I'm using Itelite omni 9db antennas here.