Community discussions

MikroTik App

LeoCombes
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

SXT choice for small wisp

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:43 am

We plan to give internet service on the countrysides of our city, and as we don't have much experience with routerboard on wireless networks. We would like to know your opinion about our choice.

As we are going to work with several SXTG-5HPnD-SAr2 as AP and SXT-5HPnD as CPE, we would like to know some experiences of networks working with STX routerboards.
We plan to install 20-30 CPEs for each AP, between 3-8 km far from the AP, on the 90 degrees coverage area of the SXTG-5HPnD-SAr2. Each CPE throughput should be 3Mbps or more.

What throughput can I have available for each CPE at that distance using that equipment?
Is the appropriate equipment for this usage? or we should consider other model? Maybe SEXTANT for AP?
We supposed that the available bandwidth is lower, when the CPE is farther from the AP, till what distance we could have an estable link on 5 Mbps/CPE?
There is some way to calculate the bandwidth availability vs. distance?
CPEs quantity per AP, make any difference on distance, bandwidth availability or stability of the link?

If some has any experience with this equipment (clients quantity, bandwidth, distance) it would help us to know what can we expect of the SXT, and how much we can increase the throughput to our customers in the future.

Thank for your feedback.

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: SXT choice for small wisp

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:29 am

About a year, I helped design and build a WISP that was initially based off of the SXTs. I loved them. They are great for what they are. Throughput wasn't a problem. The max distance for us seemed to be a little less that 3 miles, but we were getting 25 megs at 3 miles. Latency was text book perfect. I was very happy with the whole project. :D

LeoCombes
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi ssofet, thanks for your response, it's very helpful!

About CPEs quantity per AP, does it make any difference on CPEs link stability?
Which is the estimated maximum number of concurrent linked CPEs to be sure of giving a stable service?
CPEs with great different distances between them and the AP, make any difference?

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:40 pm

That question doesn't have a set in stone answer. 20-30 CPEs with a max of 5M is reasonable as long as you are using HT(802.11n) modulation techniques. You can still use nstreme or NV2 and get the High Throught modulation schemes. I would recommend using an nstreme protocol. The distance does play a factor, especially for 802.11. nsteme will reduce the throughput cost of the distance. nstreme and NV2 were specifically intended for this application. 802.11 was intended for indoor use and should be avoided for WISPs.

LeoCombes
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Your response is very helpful!
Thanks.

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:02 pm

No problem, glad I could be of assistance :D

nmssoft
just joined

Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:14 am

About a year, I helped design and build a WISP that was initially based off of the SXTs. I loved them. They are great for what they are. Throughput wasn't a problem. The max distance for us seemed to be a little less that 3 miles, but we were getting 25 megs at 3 miles. Latency was text book perfect. I was very happy with the whole project. :D
If I may ask. Did you use 5750 MHZ - 5850 MHZ w/ 36 dbm EIRP or lower frequencies in the 5GHz band at 30 dbm EIRP or where you on 2.4Ghz?

Just curious what frequencies and power you used to get 3 miles on the SXT platform.

Trackboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:43 am

3-8 km not too much for SXT ?

I have got a 1km link with them, the signal strenght is around -60-65 dBm.

According to calculator 2-3 km is the maximum with SXT, but i think for this distance perfect.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:44 am

SXT work very good especially for the price. The antenna gain matches the data. The LEDs are very helpful for installation. The plastics is very cheap it changes color very fast with UV so you can't give them to a second customer.

Trackboy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Yes, this is a cheap device, and working fine, just more than 3 km is too much to me from this device

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Yes, this is a cheap device, and working fine, just more than 3 km is too much to me from this device
Sure a higher gain antenna would be better but with a good sector the sxt performs good at 3km.
There is the SXT HG and the QRT...

Lukas1
just joined

Thu May 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi, I would need some help with my new WISP. I'm also new to this so if you could help me. Willing to reimburse your time. Thanks.