MikroTik App

sasskass
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Multicast-helper p2mp

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:13 am

Hello,

AP > station bridge. As in wiki on the ap side the wlan multicast-helper set to full.

AP-s lan and wlan are bridged together.

The cable to the ap is coming from the igmp enabled switch.

Problem: all the multicast traffice is flooded to all the stations!

We are using ubiquiti devices without problems with multicast enchancement enabled, also bridged mode on ap side -this do the trick. And no matter station or station-wds, both works - the traffice is sent correctly.

Is there something else to know ?

Aleksander

sasskass
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Multicast-helper p2mp

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:53 pm

Hello,

No one is using Mikrotik devices to serve iptv p2mp ? As i said ubiquiti is doing the job out of the box - with multicast encahncement function. Buying a couple of sixpacks we believed that multicast-helper is the same, but it is not ?

Looking around the forum i saw that igmp proxy or pim should be used for that purpose. PIM is not possible cause it starts sending all the traffice i have in optical network ~200Mbit/s between 2 RP (wireless bridged) cause they will be in the same vlan and changing the vlan means a lot of cpe reconfigurations or wasting the resource. Also it brakes current bridged network where i can easylly manage the stb-s.

The igmp-proxy is buggy as i read in the forum- random hangups still in 6.10 and not going to "test" it in my clients...

So the only working solution is to leave everything open and flood all the neighbours multicast to others ?

Aleksander

sasskass
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:10 am

Ok Guys,

Some time ago, there where the queue for the telephone lines and everyone was happy to have a phone line at home. Very soon it becomes the possibility to make the BBS- the fist step to the internet. By now the internet becoming the gateway for the services - like iptv.

So if no one in the MT forum/stuff do not respect the evolution where the internet goes, then we just move on with ubnt and cisco.

We are an isp, who is buying the stuff ca. 6k/€ per month from the Poland distributor and we are not satisfied to give money for the beta testing or you think i am wrong ?

Kind Regards

Aleksander

hodkovdd
just joined

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:36 am

Hi,
Have you achieved any success with this issue - multicast flooded traffic on the wireless clients?

sasskass
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:30 pm

The dirty solution is to build the ap with wds support where the clients are in station-wds mode. On the ap you will need to install the multicast package and activate the igmp-proxy. Then you must put the incoming (eth) interface as upload interface member in the igmp-proxy and add wds interfaces aswell to be the members of the igmp-proxy.
Its not a bridged solution, but working.

Also you can do it with pim, but configuration is more complicated.

To avoid traf overflows on the wireless due to the fast channel zap clients reduce the "query response time interval" from 00:00:10 to 00:00:01 and dont acitvate the fast-leave function.

Aleksander