Community discussions

MikroTik App

RosenSama
just joined
Topic Author

Home Wireless Bridge

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:35 am

I have two RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN. One is my gateway router hanging off my main LAN . . . internet firewall, DHCP server, wireless AP. The second has been a separate AP on my office LAN. I'm relocating my office within wireless range of the gateway and want to use the two APs to wirelessly bridge the two LANs.

Ideally they're all on the same subnet and the gateway is DHCP server for everything. While they are bridging the two LANs I'd like them to both remain available as APs for wireless clients, same SSID preferred.

I'm more interested in stability of the connection than maximum bandwidth between the two. If it really simplifies things or makes the connection more stable, I'd be willing to sacrifice having a single subnet and DHCP server.

While the forums have many examples, I haven't found one that sounds exactly like what I want. Could you please offer pointers to relevant pages or advice on configuration? My main questions are:

1) How do I configure them to bridge to each other and remain APs for wireless clients?
2) How do I disable any firewall, nat, and dhcp on the office device?

Thanks much in advance.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Home Wireless Bridge

Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:42 pm

without your APs configuration posted in the forum, is near impossible to answer to your question

RosenSama
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Home Wireless Bridge

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:32 pm

I have figured it out by experimentation. I started by using QuickSet to set both up as APs. Then I configured wlan1 on both to have the same SSID, channel and security settings. Then I enabled dynamic mesh WDS (per other forum posts mesh clears up issues with WPA2) on wlan1 of each and set the default WDS bridge to the pre-existing bridge-local.

On the office router I disabled its firewall rules and NAT and doublechecked the DHCP server was disabled. I configured the IP address on its wlan1 interface to a free address on the subnet of my gateway device and set the gateway's IP as the the office device's default gateway.

The connection is stable, whether its performance could be better remains to be seen. But Netflix is having no issues at present.