Community discussions

MikroTik App

BlindGuitarist
just joined
Topic Author

HELP!

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi folks.

I need to know which Mikrotik router I should have bought to run a small home WIFI network. I need to support a couple computers, an iPad, a Kindle, an AppleTV, at least 120 Mbps d/l speed etc.

I just mistakenly purchased an rb2011uas-2hnd through my local distributor, after reading:
http://www.xagyl.com/store/product.php? ... at=&page=2

I thought I would receive something suitable for use as a home WIFI router, something in a box with a power supply etc. What I received was just a circuit board!

What do I do with this?

If I need to return it, what should I be ordering instead to get something more user friendly, something at least in some sort of enclosure?

To explain further, I am blind, so I only know what is described on that web page in text. That's what my screen reading software told me about the product. If a picture shows that this particular model is just a circuit board, I had no way of knowing that.

So, can I get some sort of mounting hardware, power supply, software etc. for this, or should I just return it and buy a different model?

Please advise.

Thanks

Chris

BlindGuitarist
just joined
Topic Author

Re: HELP!

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:58 pm

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure I should have gone with a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN ... the wiki about product naming conventions helped.

So, once I return this board and order the right unit, I should be fine.
Hi folks.

I need to know which Mikrotik router I should have bought to run a small home WIFI network. I need to support a couple computers, an iPad, a Kindle, an AppleTV, at least 120 Mbps d/l speed etc.

I just mistakenly purchased an rb2011uas-2hnd through my local distributor, after reading:
http://www.xagyl.com/store/product.php? ... at=&page=2

I thought I would receive something suitable for use as a home WIFI router, something in a box with a power supply etc. What I received was just a circuit board!

What do I do with this?

If I need to return it, what should I be ordering instead to get something more user friendly, something at least in some sort of enclosure?

To explain further, I am blind, so I only know what is described on that web page in text. That's what my screen reading software told me about the product. If a picture shows that this particular model is just a circuit board, I had no way of knowing that.

So, can I get some sort of mounting hardware, power supply, software etc. for this, or should I just return it and buy a different model?

Please advise.

Thanks

Chris

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: HELP!

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:27 pm

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure I should have gone with a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN ... the wiki about product naming conventions helped.

So, once I return this board and order the right unit, I should be fine.
Yes, the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN is the one you want. It comes in a case and with a power supply. There are also a handful of other SOHO routers that have less features (you may have already looked at them). They can be found at http://routerboard.com/ under the "Wireless for home and office" heading.