MikroTik App

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

[REQUEST] Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi Forum,

This is aimed more so at the employees of Mikrotik - how hard would it be to port the code over to ARM architecture for the purpose of running RouterOS on a Raspberry Pi?

To be honest - I understand if you feel its not worth it. THe 951-2n is pretty darn cheap and has a lot of power for its $$, but it would be cool to run RouterOS on Pi with USB Wireless cards for mini hotspots etc.

Happy to be a beta (or even alpha) test guinea pig if you want to do it ? ^_^

Thanks

ayufan

Re: [REQUEST] Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi Forum,

This is aimed more so at the employees of Mikrotik - how hard would it be to port the code over to ARM architecture for the purpose of running RouterOS on a Raspberry Pi?

To be honest - I understand if you feel its not worth it. THe 951-2n is pretty darn cheap and has a lot of power for its $$, but it would be cool to run RouterOS on Pi with USB Wireless cards for mini hotspots etc.

Happy to be a beta (or even alpha) test guinea pig if you want to do it ? ^_^

Thanks
No way. What for? Especially on a RPI that slow and old crap? RPI is for hacking, not routing :)

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:23 am

RPi is not 'old', but it is cheap.

In the more generic sense, ARM chipsets could be a good addition for a number of different platforms. RPi is just the first example that came to mind.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:35 pm

RPi may be cheap, but not as much. And count in price of RouterOS licence and instead of RPi with it, you can buy not only one RB951-2n, but two of them for the same price...

ayufan

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:54 pm

RPi is not 'old', but it is cheap.

In the more generic sense, ARM chipsets could be a good addition for a number of different platforms. RPi is just the first example that came to mind.
If you look at used CPU it is old :)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:17 am

prawira
Trainer
Trainer

Sat May 24, 2014 4:46 pm

by choosing RPI, we will have some advantages, such as :
+ low power consumption ~ like the mAP
+ we can choose ourown storage capacity; such as 4GB, 8GB, etc for many purposes

so this is like installing ROS on x86 system but with low power consumption

Paul

el berto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:02 pm

Maybe any news?

just wait a bit for RB mAP
It isn't about price or power consumption: RouterOS is great about routing but you can have already a system running on Raspberry Pi, and it would be very hard to make same funcrions of RouterOS with standard Linux.....

marrold

Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:14 pm

I doubt it will happen. Networking performance isn't great, it only has a single interface... what's the point?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:39 pm

None I could see.

Price wise it's even worse than before. Now I can get new hAP Lite for $22 (incl. VAT) from local distributor and it includes everything (case, power supply, wi-fi, four ethernets, RouterOS licence). Cheapest RPi I can find costs $36 and that's bare board without anything. Even if RouterOS for it was free, it still does not make sense.

As for available features, it does not make sense either. RPi if great, because you can do anything with it. You can run all kinds of network servers, connect a lot of interesting hardware devices, sensors and stuff, and put all that together in any way imaginable. One thought that I myself also had, is that if you could throw RouterOS on top of that, with nice WinBox interface to manage it, it would be fantastic. The catch is, if you installed RouterOS, you would lose all those extra features. So no servers, no sensors, just regular limited RouterOS. Not interesting anymore.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Therefore we need directly connectable daughter RB board with all ROS features and RPi as backend/frontend...

marrold

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Therefore we need directly connectable daughter RB board with all ROS features and RPi as backend/frontend...
Is this a joke?

patrikg
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:08 pm

May be..
But openwrt have support for raspberry pi, use that instead.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/raspberry_p ... spberry_pi

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:19 pm

@marrold:
Why ?
Whats wrong with sandwich-like router+server.
People are asking MikroTik for WWW, HSF+, print-server, AFP, barbecue grill, coffe-machine etc. integrated into RB.
RB mAP 2n seems to be good start for such project.

@patrikg:
Why to use Pi if you can use it on RB:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/mikrotik/rb433

marrold

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:23 am

@marrold:
Why ?
Whats wrong with sandwich-like router+server.
People are asking MikroTik for WWW, HSF+, print-server, AFP, barbecue grill, coffe-machine etc. integrated into RB.
RB mAP 2n seems to be good start for such project.
If you want a 'sandwich-like' router + server, get some half decent hardware and run virtual machines.

The RasperryPi is terrible at routing packets, and as others have pointed out, you can get a hAP lite for cheaper.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:52 am

Oh yeah, me, here. ;) But I don't think there's a market for any special RB device connectable to RPi.

What could work, would be a new RouterOS feature that would allow user to run custom binaries. As a limited user, in isolated environment, to not influence the base system too much. That would be perfect for various servers (simple web or DNS server, full-featured OpenVPN server, ...). I know there's MetaROUTER, but that's too heavy. Next step, add drivers for few nice USB-connectable devices (something like this for example). Combined with custom binaries, you could suddenly do wonders. Finally, add API to allow use of WinBox/WebFig UI (create custom dialogs, etc..) and you have an ultimate hobbyist router. But not just that, I'm sure that e.g. some sensors connected to router might be useful for something serious.

Apologies to all enterprise users who suffered heart attack while reading this. ;)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:04 am

The RasperryPi is terrible at routing packets, and as others have pointed out, you can get a hAP lite for cheaper.
You do not understand me...Routerboard for switching+routing and Pi for GUI etc....

electron39
just joined

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:23 pm

Good evening!
I need to test the VPN-server 100 Mbit/s, a few clients on a small device under $ 200 with the OS license.
That device should have a good processor.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 has a 4 processors core 900 MHz.
Is it possible to run it to install RouterOS?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:29 pm

Good evening!
I need to test the VPN-server 100 Mbit/s, a few clients on a small device under $ 200 with the OS license.
That device should have a good processor.
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 has a 4 processors core 900 MHz.
Is it possible to run it to install RouterOS?
We have devices that are faster and lower cost. License included for free, for other hardware you would need to buy it.
This one has a 800MHz CPU and is only $39: http://routerboard.com/RB750r2

electron39
just joined

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:21 pm

How 1xCore 800 Mhz processor can be faster than 4xCore 900 Mhz processor?
Now I use 750GL with 400 Mhz CP and if only one client connected to PPTP server, maximum speed is 30 Mbit/s and 100% CP load.
If i use hex with 720 MHz CP I think it will be 50-60 Mhz limit for only one client and 100% CP load.
I don't see big difference betwen 750GL and hex.
I need 300 Mbit/s PPTP server for 50 users and it must be very small size, smaller than x86 PC and smaller than 19" units.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:58 pm

How 1xCore 800 Mhz processor can be faster than 4xCore 900 Mhz processor?
Now I use 750GL with 400 Mhz CP and if only one client connected to PPTP server, maximum speed is 30 Mbit/s and 100% CP load.
If i use hex with 720 MHz CP I think it will be 50-60 Mhz limit for only one client and 100% CP load.
I don't see big difference betwen 750GL and hex.
I need 300 Mbit/s PPTP server for 50 users and it must be very small size, smaller than x86 PC and smaller than 19" units.

good idea

until i read your post i dont know of that raspberry of quadcore cpu, very interesting

the upcoming rb3011 supposedly is arm architecture, maybe thats one step close to router-os on raspberry

maybe the raspberry can be a good upgrade to for example a old rb750 using it as a switch for the raspberry

a drawback of it its the 10/100 ethernet interface :(

iliya
just joined

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:45 pm

one:
Running Mikrotik RouterOS x86 on GNS3 like Qemu on raspberrypi
two:
intel edison or galileo board

Larisa
just joined

Mon May 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Hey!
RPi may be quite good stuff, if dealt with properly! ;) For example, to reach any goal you can use Virtual machine on Raspberry Pi (its my article on my blog)

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Nice. But ros is not a windows application, it is Linux based operating system. Otherwise it would be cool...

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Would this be something that MT would now consider being that Pi have just dropped a newer better board?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... el-b-plus/

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm

It is not about speed. There are many nice singleboard computers out there.

RouterOS only works on our own hardware. We can ensure the best compatibility and don't have to test many other vendor devices. We have no plans to support other hardware.

tjarb
just joined

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:49 am

Hi all,

I do not agree.
I'm considering a new HW platform and I'm looking to MikroTik and RouterOS. I'm not familiar with both systems so I would like to see how both platform work.
I have several raspberries laying around and it would be great to setup isolated test environments in which the switching capacities don't matter (its not a live environment!).

Now I've to download a VM and install both systems on my PC (pollution), configure VM interfaces (conflicts) and I'm connected to a live environment. I don't like that!
Just erase and flash an image to a Raspberry SDcard, plug in it.. boot it up..go to the GUI and just play around. And if you break something, just start over!

So, I see a bit advantage of supporting a Raspberry although not for performance but for testcases and learning curves.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:04 pm

Now I've to download a VM and install both systems on my PC (pollution), configure VM interfaces (conflicts) and I'm connected to a live environment. I don't like that!
I don't understand you. VM = Virtual Machine, right? So you download CHR, which is fully functional RouterOS. It's completely free, only limited to 1Mbit/s, but otherwise you can test any config you want. And if the speed limit would be a problem, you can activate trial license, which doesn't have time limit and just doesn't allow further upgrades (to leave at least some motivation to eventually pay for it). You can get as many of them as you want and create any virtual network structure to play with. There's no pollution, it's just few directories on disk, you can delete them any time you decide that you don't want them anymore. You can create as many purely virtual networks isolated from everything else as you need, there are no conflicts. But you can also do all kinds of crazy combinations of real and virtual networks, if you want. But you don't have to, it's completely optional.
Just erase and flash an image to a Raspberry SDcard, plug in it.. boot it up..go to the GUI and just play around. And if you break something, just start over!
And it's easier than VMs how? Backing up or restoring VM with CHR takes about five seconds. Try that with Raspi's SD card. And what can you test with Raspi anyway? It has one ethernet interface. You can connect another to usb, but how many of those has regular person lying around? And testing anything more complex, again, how? With several Raspis, usb network adapters, etc? Yeah, that sounds really practical.

And don't forget, it would be regular RouterOS, similar to current x86. With that, free options include unlimited features for 24 hours and then you'd have to reinstall everything, or severely limited L1 license. Next step is $45 L4 license. Of course MikroTik could do something about it, to make it more attractive, but why would they want to? To ultimately sell two hundered RouterOS for Raspi licenses world-wide? Remember, Raspi is great, because you can install anything. If you installed RouterOS, it would not allow you to install anything else. Why would anyone do that?

dustovich
just joined

Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 pm

As a summary for the RPi hardware. All the USB ports and the Ethernet port share 1x USB 2.0 OTG port. There is a USB hub on the board that splits the single USB 2.0 port on the SoC out to all the other interfaces. So at maximum, you can have 480 Mbps (theoretical max speed of USB 2.0), which will be shared between all things connected to the RPi, Ethernet and USB. WiFi is on a different (SDIO) bus on the RPi3, so is not included in this, and seems to be able to support 150Mbps. Is not designed or setup well for routing.

ggr4y
just joined

Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:20 pm

Hmmm, but what about Dude server on linux on RPi3 ?