Community discussions

MikroTik App

stenlyto
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

I have a stupid IDEA

Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:50 pm

I didnt write to ubnt forum, because some of their employees will remove the post :)

The question, My Idea, is it working at all???

1x 24V, 5A Power Supply Unit with Battery Charger Function (UPS) give a NanoStation M2 power over the PoE port.
Still OK :)
Now, the NSM2 use the secondary port to power the second NSM2, which gives to the 3th and so on to the 6th....

Can I ? If so, can I go to 10th if using 10amp charger?

praeses

Re: I have a stupid IDEA

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:04 pm

You mean to daisy chain multiple units from the same power supply? Usually where POE out is provided you can power a second one, but not indefinitely. You are going to hit the power limits of not only the power supply (which you are trying to augment with a 5 or 10A version) but also the injector, the cat 5 cabling (.577 amp per conductor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable, depends on how the injector and radio are powered but often there are two pairs used so 1Amp), the current handling of the connectors on the radios and the circuit board in the radio itself. I would think at that point you would have to think wisely how you're going to manage lightning arrestors as well.

Read the manual for the radio, I believe they state how much power the POE-out can handle. Don't try daisy-chaining that many radios unless the specifications and math lineup. Keep in mind the voltage drop increases not only with cable length but through connectors/radios as well.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Well. And relation to mikrotik?

Sent from Android by Tapatalk.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Anyway, what do you think that will happen to utp tiny wires and rj45 connectors if you pass 5 or even 10 amps thru?

Sent from Android by Tapatalk.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:12 pm

and how many ns2m you want to install close to each other and still work? With some luck maybe two. Anyway secondary port can suply only 500mA so you might put 3 in series.

joshaven

Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:51 am

You can get a multi-port passive PoE injector. Search the Internet for something like: WS-POE-8-ENC

Joshaven Potter
http://joshaven.com
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stenlyto
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:03 pm

I got it balanced :)

5 Amps charger and 5 NsM2 working good... the only I did was to cut the cables before and after each NsM2, so none of the Ns will give power from the second port, this way I saved the electronics inside, cause u are all right - If I power up 2 or 3 it ok, but if I put 6, the power that will be constantly going trough the first NS will be to much and the Ns will sooner or later fail.

stenlyto
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:05 pm

You can get a multi-port passive PoE injector. Search the Internet for something like: WS-POE-8-ENC

Joshaven Potter
http://joshaven.com
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My problem is that the antennas are going one after another
My House - 100m - antenna - 100m - antenna - 80m - antenna - 75m - antenna - 100m - antenna
Thats the worst case scenario but, life is what it is :)

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:59 am

consider that cat5e cable rated transfer is set at 0.5A per wire pair. Also, that is the reason why 802.3at type1 is limited to 30W power output (it is to say - that limitation was not out of the blue)

And for those long links you can use http://routerboard.com/RBPOE-CON-HP to use high voltage over wire and lower it to 24V at the router.

joshaven

Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Another option would be to run carrier wires along with the Ethernet cable that carried the power with larger connectors. You can get multi-amp 27v power supplies pretty easily. Then use a mikrotik Poe splitter to inject the power close to the radio.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:11 pm

"moving" 48V or 57V around will cause less losses. Named PoE converter works at 85% efficiency. You are saving more by using high voltage. Using anything at and over 2A over cat5e will heat the wire up to noticeable temperature above ambient.

That is for 100m links.

joshaven

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:11 pm

I ran some calculations (see attached) they are a little over simplified because the calculations I am using are the sum of all of the distances of the wire listed in the post... This means I am budgeting the power loss as if all of the draw was at the furthest point which is not the case. I am pretty sure that standard ethernet can not carry the needed power levels even at 48VDC. 60 watts over 455m of total transmission distance is a lot for two pairs of 23AWG cable.

As seen below, the power budget with a single pair of 12 AWG wire is slightly over the recommended 10% loss however the actual draw will be under the rated 12 watt/radio and the devices are not all at the end of the cable. If these considerations were included I am pretty sure the budget would be within of the recommended range.

Also, the PoE passthrough on the Nanostation will will not be able to pass the required load so the power will have to be run around the device not through it. I would highly recommend running a separate carrier lines for the power regardless of going 24v or 48v. With the use an outdoor junction box you can split the power as well as terminate the ethernet and have a pretty clean configuration.

Furthermore with this distance I would recommend keeping your ground isolated and using the ground at the power injection site. The reasons is that you are fairly likely to have ground current that wants to use your system ground. You really don't want a ground loop issue on top of all of this.

I don't know much about the need but I would probably seriously consider runing Fiber. If you can run 6 AWG wire then you could use a 28V Power Supply and not need any power converters to step the power up or down. Otherwise I would probably run 56V and a DC/DC power converter at each site. While your at it you should consider throwing a charge controller and couple of deep cycle DC batteries. You should be able to get 12 hours or more of battery run time for rather small amount of money.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stenlyto
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:39 pm

I ran some calculations (see attached) they are a little over simplified because the calculations I am using are the sum of all of the distances of the wire listed in the post... This means I am budgeting the power loss as if all of the draw was at the furthest point which is not the case. I am pretty sure that standard ethernet can not carry the needed power levels even at 48VDC. 60 watts over 455m of total transmission distance is a lot for two pairs of 23AWG cable.

As seen below, the power budget with a single pair of 12 AWG wire is slightly over the recommended 10% loss however the actual draw will be under the rated 12 watt/radio and the devices are not all at the end of the cable. If these considerations were included I am pretty sure the budget would be within of the recommended range.

Also, the PoE passthrough on the Nanostation will will not be able to pass the required load so the power will have to be run around the device not through it. I would highly recommend running a separate carrier lines for the power regardless of going 24v or 48v. With the use an outdoor junction box you can split the power as well as terminate the ethernet and have a pretty clean configuration.

Furthermore with this distance I would recommend keeping your ground isolated and using the ground at the power injection site. The reasons is that you are fairly likely to have ground current that wants to use your system ground. You really don't want a ground loop issue on top of all of this.

I don't know much about the need but I would probably seriously consider runing Fiber. If you can run 6 AWG wire then you could use a 28V Power Supply and not need any power converters to step the power up or down. Otherwise I would probably run 56V and a DC/DC power converter at each site. While your at it you should consider throwing a charge controller and couple of deep cycle DC batteries. You should be able to get 12 hours or more of battery run time for rather small amount of money.
Thank U :) I did really suffered some regular restart on my antennas because of power fails(U did explained why?). My Idea was really a stupid one, but u made it better with ur calculations. I changed it to what u offer and now I believe it will be ok!
Again Thanks
What I did was to power the line with 48 AC and use adapter on each device. the adapter is something like input:48AC to 24DC 0.5A
I believe it is ok? Is it ?

joshaven

Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:51 pm

What I did was to power the line with 48 AC and use adapter on each device. the adapter is something like input:48AC to 24DC 0.5A
I believe it is ok? Is it ?
That will be fine as long as you sizing the wire properly. Please reference this calculator: http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm

At 48v I would suspect that you will draw 1A to run the radios plus what ever loss is in the line & converters. 2A-3A would be a pretty safe draw assumption. If your going to use AC with step down transformers you may be better off with 120V (US Standard) or 220V (World Standard). 48V is safer in case that is your concern (48vdc is telephone level voltages... you can touch + & - and shouldn't be hurt unlike 120 and higher). I was told by an electrician that 48V DC systems and under did not require permits or professional installation to pass our local building codes. I was not working with AC so I don't know if that makes any difference. Permits are another thing you might want to check on before running wire or purchasing transformers. I would be real surprised if you need a permit for 48vdc though... However I have heard of a country that actually regulated cable colors for ISP's so you never know... (unless someone was seeing how gullible I was.)

stenlyto
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Aahhh good point. I will check the requirements in my country.
But particularly this task is for my needs only and no one will check the installations.
48Vac is the better way, cause if someone by accident cut the cable it will be safe for him

stenlyto
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Joshaven

I need your advice

here is my topology

Site1 (all cables going in)
1 cable -> site1 -> (50m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a) -> ( 30m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a)
2 cable -> site1 -> (45m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a) -> ( 32m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a)
3 cable -> site1 -> (55m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a) -> ( 38m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a)
4 cable -> site1 -> (40m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a) -> ( 35m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a)
to all 4 cable (blue pair +, brown pair -) I would like to run power
my adapter is MeanWell AD-155B (24V 5A) output for the 4 cables and 27V output for batteries

Is it gona work ? Or I need to buy one more Meanwell adapter and divide the cables - > 1,2 to first adapter and 3,4 to second adapter

joshaven

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Joshaven

I need your advice

here is my topology

Site1 (all cables going in)
1 cable -> site1 -> (50m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a) -> ( 30m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a)
2 cable -> site1 -> (45m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a) -> ( 32m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a)
3 cable -> site1 -> (55m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a) -> ( 38m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a)
4 cable -> site1 -> (40m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a) -> ( 35m FTP awg 24) -> NSM2 (24v max:0.5a)
to all 4 cable (blue pair +, brown pair -) I would like to run power
my adapter is MeanWell AD-155B (24V 5A) output for the 4 cables and 27V output for batteries

Is it gona work ? Or I need to buy one more Meanwell adapter and divide the cables - > 1,2 to first adapter and 3,4 to second adapter
It works on paper based on a draw of 8watts for the radio and 2 watts for the converter I would expect 10w total per NSM2 with 2 NSM2's per cable. (I don't know that this is the power budget, it is my best guess). See attached calculation for cable 3 which has the longest reach.

Note that I am assuming that your injecting 48v of power into each cable. I didn't not sum the total of each cable, I considered them separate in terms of power injection. Furthermore I have never looked into AC power over ethernet... All of the PoE that I am aware of has been DC over ethernet. You should confirm that power being AC won't interfere with the signal in a way that DC doesn't. Also with having a combined cable length of under 100M you may be able to chain the radios using the PoE pass-through. You may want to get a power injector that can inject somewhere between 26v & 30V at the start which will drop a bit in transmission. Also Check the operating range of the radio, I believe 30V is the top of the operating range.

I'll ask the obvious questing seeing that your getting support for UBNT in a MikroTik form... why would you want to use a Ubiquity NSM2 over MikroTik? I defiantly prefer MikroTik and I have used both extensively so I feel that I can make a fair comparison. Also notice how nice the MikroTik Support people are in that they were willing to help you make a purchase decision for a competitor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stenlyto
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 pm

I'll ask the obvious questing seeing that your getting support for UBNT in a MikroTik form... why would you want to use a Ubiquity NSM2 over MikroTik? I defiantly prefer MikroTik and I have used both extensively so I feel that I can make a fair comparison. Also notice how nice the MikroTik Support people are in that they were willing to help you make a purchase decision for a competitor.
I use mikrotik a lot, but give me a devise form MK product list that will look like NSM2 and have the same antenna build in. The problem is my client, He likes it, it works for him, looks stylish and work for him. Thats it!
Ubiquity forum, dont like!

joshaven

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:08 pm