MikroTik App

mfrabbibd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Small WISP Design and Advice Needed

Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:36 am

Dear All,

I want to start a small WISP that's why I need help from you. I want to use 3 RFelements 5Ghz 18dbi Sector Antenna with 3 Mikrotik Base Box5 and And the Backhaul connection using Nano Beam M5-400. The main management router of the Base Station would be RB2011UiAS-RM and SXT Lite5 as CPE. Now my questions are...

1. Am I on the right path to start the WISP?
2. Can I use Wifi Router with the CPE like (D-link, TP-Link, Netgear etc) so that, my CPE user client can use LAN connection directly from the Wifi Router's and The Home Laptop user from the WLAN of the Wifi Router using DD-WRT?
3. Can I manage All the clients (CPE + WLAN) from my Base Station's Router RB2011UiAS-RM?

Please Advice me the right way to start the WISP.

Thanks in Advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

troy

Re: Small WISP Design and Advice Needed

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:27 pm

If that's the extent of your network, it sounds like a good start.

For the backhaul, you can certainly use the nanobeam. You can also use Mikrotik's SXT to keep the network homogeneous. If you need to shoot a long distance, consider using 2' or 3' dishes. There are tons of link budget calculators out there to help you figure out what you need to establish a good quality link.

At the tower site, the 2011 would make a decent starter system. It can do everything you'll need it to do for a small system.

I'm kind of confused on what you're wanting to do in terms of CPE. I'd use the SXT for the CPE, presenting the customer with an ethernet connection. They would be able to use their own router or you could provide a router.

If you provision the CPE in a bridge configuration, the customer's router will obtain an IP address via DHCP from the 2011. This is often the easiest configuration, but it increases the exposure of your network to the customer.

You can also provision the CPE as a simple NAT router. Use a dhcp-client on wlan1 and set up a dhcp-server on ether1. This limits the exposure of your network to the customer.

Good luck!

mfrabbibd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Small WISP Design and Advice Needed

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:28 am

Thanks a lot Troy for your Co-Operation. What does it mean by "If that's the extent of your network"? I didn't start any project yet but planning to start. Actually I can do networking but have a little knowledge about Mikrotik Router OS. My whole network will be on 5GHz so Laptop and Mobile user can not receive 5GHz. Although there are a few Laptops and Cell Phones are on dual band nowadays but the numbers are very few. Maximum Laptop and Cell Phones are on 2.4GHz.

I've 10 PtP customer and I want to put their SXT lite5 (5GHz) CPE in bridge mood and I'll provide wifi router myself to provide 2.4GHz to those who lives approximately 100 feet away from those CPE's. I've some wifi routers which have 4 LAN port and I want my CPE's client connected from one of the 4 LAN port of the wifi router not from the CPE's Ethernet connection. now my question is that, Can I manage those customers connected from the 2.4GHz wifi router's from my Base Station's RB2011?

Thanks once again.