Community discussions

MikroTik App

cfern87
just joined
Topic Author

Noob question: Bridge wifi interfaces, broadcast another

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi there,
I'm relatively new to the low-level configuration of the Routerboard.

I have a lot of networked devices, and love the reliability of the routerboard. I just moved into a new location, and have a roomate with a less reliable router. I want to keep using my Routerboard, but also want to reap the benefits of their router. Unfortuately, using a direct connection via a patch cable is not possible due to positioning, so my question is this:

I'm trying to connect to my roomate's router (open security, SSID is NETGEAR) and also broadcast a secured SSID (Sid and Nancy WPA-2) while leaving the lan from the routerboard in its own subnet/network segment.

Originally, the lan port on the back would connect to the uplinked router, but in this case, I'd like to use wifi for that. Currently, I'm accomplishing this goal by using my macbook as a bridge, but I'd like to use my macbook as a macbook.
I suspect this will require setting up a bridge, a slave lan interface, and somehow bridging the slave interface to bridge-local? Not usre, and tried this already and had to completely reset my router.

I'm reading the wiki, and noticing that there is a LOT of RouterOS to RouterOS functionality. I have found some documentation to create a bridge, but I want to change some of parameters around the SSID.