Community discussions

MikroTik App

SimonThomasen
Topic Author

Indoor AP's - Adjusting noise floor?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:06 am

Hello everyone,

I have 25 RB951G's on a school serving roughly 15 rooms with 20-25 student per room.
Average number of connected devices per room is 30-35.

For obvious reasons I have added a number of RB411 running 5GHz to pull the load away from the 2GHZ band,
but the 2GHz band is still overloaded.
With only 3 channels in the 2GHz band, I need to make sure that only 3 networks are within
the -40 - -80 dbm signal range at any one spot.

But with so many devices bunched together so closely,
the distance between 951g's on the same channel is only 15-20 meters w/ 2 walls/floors between,
So I have set the access-list to disallow anyone below -80dbm (default-forward-rule for above -79).

So far so good - devices are being spread evenly among the AP's as they should,

also lowered power to 6DBM so Ap's on the same channel wouldn't interfere too much with eachother,
but it's not enough -

I was thinking, if I raise the noise-floor to, say, -85, instead of the auto setting giving -105 - -110,
wouldn't it improve?

I.e. wouldn it not mean that traffic from the neighboring rooms (having signallevels below -80)
would be considered noise, and filtered out - thereby reducing interference between the rooms?

Thanks for any feedback!

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Indoor AP's - Adjusting noise floor?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm not sure how you are going to change the noise floor, but I think you will run into problems there. Have you tried reducing the power all the way down? That will help a little. Useing the smallest, lowest gain antennas, will also help. I have seen people put foil over the antennas... the problem with that is works in both directions.