Community discussions

MikroTik App

cfern87
just joined
Topic Author

Receive from one SSID and broadcast another?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi there,
I am relatively new to the advanced world of Mikrotik routers, and given what I've seen and read elsewhere this may not be possible, I'm just looking for confirmation.

I have the RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN router.

I have an apartment complex that has an unsecured AP connection to their internet. I have a lot of wired devices (and a few wireless) that I'd like to keep on my own subnet. Before I moved here, it wasn't a problem - I simply had the router connected to port 1 and away I went.

Now, it's a bit trickier. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way I can create an uplink through the WLAN interface AND broadcast a WPA-2 SSID from it as well, all while keeping the LAN and the WPA-2 SSID on a separate subnet from the public one.

As I've tried to create bridges and slave WLAN interfaces, my wired connection dropped and I was forced to reset the router.

I never took an advanced routing class and have moderate understanding of this low-level sort of configuration, so this might be a huge noob question.

Any help is appreciated, thanks ahead of time!

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Receive from one SSID and broadcast another?

Sun May 04, 2014 1:56 am

You cannot use the same wireless interface to connect to an AP and also use it as an AP at the same time. You can add another wireless card to the MikroTik device and use that as your own AP, while using the other one to connect to the Internet if your hardware has a spare slot. There other option is to plug in a separate access point and use that as your own personal AP to your network.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Receive from one SSID and broadcast another?

Sun May 04, 2014 7:55 pm

You can do it with one radio. Set the wds link and as many virtual aps you want. The condition is just to have mikrotik on both sides of wds link.