Community discussions

MikroTik App

kemp
just joined
Topic Author

Full Duplex Wireless Links, Multi-Radio, Wireless network

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi,
To achieve high-reliability, I wanna deploy a full duplex wireless links with multi-radio wireless network, below are the topology diagrams.

My question is, Is it the best solution for building a high reliability wireless network? What aspects or parameters I can adjust to improve the network reliability?
To make sure the connection between PC1, PC2 and PC3 won't disconnect, I force the data rate fix to 1Mbps,
the 'Disconnect Timeout' to be 3 seconds, and 'On Fail Retry Time' to be 0.1 seconds.

AP1 & AP2:
MikroTik RB433Ah(v6.12), three xr9 cards (Ubiquiti mini-pci wireless card), three directional antennas,
Mode: ap bridge
Channel width: 20Mhz
Frequency: 907Mhz , 917Mhz
Wireless Protocol: 802.11

CPEs:
MikroTik RB433(v6.12), two xr9 cards (Ubiquiti mini-pci wireless card), two directional antennas,
Mode: station bridge
Channel width: 20Mhz
Frequency: 907Mhz wlan1, 917Mhz wlan2
Wireless Protocol: 802.11

Antennas:
(Both AP and CPEs use the same antennas)
freq: 902-928 MHz
gain: 2x12dBi
VSWR: <1.5Type, Max 1.8
50Ω
2 x N- Female

Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kemp on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

onnoossendrijver

Re: Full Duplex Wireless Links, Multi-Radio, Wireless networ

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:32 pm

What about:
Creat also a connection from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3.
Make the whole network routed and run VPLS on top of that.
If the AP link dies the connection would be rerouted via station 2.

kemp
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for the reply! I just made a mistake, I Have to use 6 directional antennas for the AP, to communicating with other 3 CPEs.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:58 pm

If you would like to have high availability then you should not let your network rely on one ap. More aps and circles would be better than duplicate radio links. With 20 mhz channel width is not 10mhz spacing enough.

kemp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:30 am

What about:
Creat also a connection from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3.
Make the whole network routed and run VPLS on top of that.
If the AP link dies the connection would be rerouted via station 2.
I'm newbie at this, could you please tell me how to configure my routerboards running VPLS? Thansk!

kemp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:48 am

If you would like to have high availability then you should not let your network rely on one ap. More aps and circles would be better than duplicate radio links. With 20 mhz channel width is not 10mhz spacing enough.
I channged my network, deploy two AP, working on 907Mhz and 917Mhz respectively.
I tried to make the XR9 wireless cards work on 10mhz or 5mhz, but it just didn't work, it seems it just work fine on 20mhz.
I built the network for test purpose yesterday, it is working on 907mhz and 917mhz on the same time up to now.
How to make more circles in my situation?

MovingNetworksFwd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:20 am

I channged my network, deploy two AP, working on 907Mhz and 917Mhz respectively.
I tried to make the XR9 wireless cards work on 10mhz or 5mhz, but it just didn't work, it seems it just work fine on 20mhz.
I built the network for test purpose yesterday, it is working on 907mhz and 917mhz on the same time up to now.
How to make more circles in my situation?
I would use 5ghz equipment like an SXT in bridge mode (three of them at each site) plugged into a RB75(0,1)/95(0,1) (at each site) routed to each other with short OSPF timers configured on each router so that in the case of failure the network will re-converge quickly instead of the usual 40 seconds it normally takes. Each one of these three radios at each site will be aimed at the other respective sites making a fully "meshed" redundant network that can sustain multiple link failures before it becomes unusable.

A side note.

I wouldn't use 900mhz in an area like that because of other close proximity radiating equipment. A rail yard in what looks like a dense city is full of various radiation because of how cars and inventory are handled, I don't even want to go into what might be happening in the city itself.

Ryan

MovingNetworksFwd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Glad I could help you, if you have more general questions feel free to post here, if you need any very specific (or public sensitive) help you can email me using the address in my signature.

Ryan