MikroTik App

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

FULL WiFi Home

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Dear all,

which device should i choose to make my home Full WiFi no need to install second wifi routers to cover blank area. As per my knowledge Basebox5 will do with 8dbi Antenna. i need some more suggestion from mikrotik pros :) kindly help.

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: FULL WiFi Home

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:15 pm

How big is your house? It wood and drywall, concrete, or something else?

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:12 pm

How big is your house? It wood and drywall, concrete, or something else?
Area is 450 Sq Yard, brick wall and ceiling concrete.

MovingNetworksFwd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:43 am

Is that the outside walls or all walls within the structure as well?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:39 am

Dear all,

which device should i choose to make my home Full WiFi no need to install second wifi routers to cover blank area. As per my knowledge Basebox5 will do with 8dbi Antenna. i need some more suggestion from mikrotik pros :) kindly help.

You need 2.4GHz or 5GHz Access Point?

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Is that the outside walls or all walls within the structure as well?

structure as well rooms partitioned with brick wall. I need more powerfull AP which can easily penetrate through walls and concrete(ceiling) and from 3rd floor to ground floor without any issue. right now im using two linksys E1000 router as AP DDWRT installed but wifi range too weak to reach each rooms single floor only. one guy from mikrotik shop suggested me go for mikrotik basebox5 it will cover your all area rooms as well no blank space guaranteed with 8dbi ANTENNAS.

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:18 pm

Dear all,

i think 5GHz AP with 8biAntenna are best for WiFi no interruption and will reach each and every corner of room. check images i posted for antennas. one more thing no need to waste money buying pricey linksys AC home router get just one good wired switch or router and connect base box for best WiFi experience with any custom antenna. :) Y

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: AW: FULL WiFi Home

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Dear all,

i think 5GHz AP with 8biAntenna are best for WiFi no interruption and will reach each and every corner of room. check images i posted for antennas. one more thing no need to waste money buying pricey linksys AC home router get just one good wired switch or router and connect base box for best WiFi experience with any custom antenna. :) Y
just forget it. With 5ghz this is in no way possible.

Gesendet von meinem Xperia Z1 Compact mit Tapatalk

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:33 pm

2.4g has better penetration thru obstacles than 5g. You can use for example RB493 or similar, put there two cards and operate with both bands. But .ac is still not supported by mikrotik. There will be no problem with power of AP but many of the mobiles have weak transmitters and bad antennas. This is something you can solve by placing additional AP.
Last edited by jarda on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

FULL WiFi Home

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:17 pm

I completely agree with barkas and jarda.
5GHz is very sensitive to obstacles...
I had the same problem in my parents' house (about 400sqm with three floors and really solid brick walls)...
I installed one Metal2SHPn with a +18db omni antenna in a lumber room on the ground floor and now their whole house incl a rather gigantic garden has perfect coverage.

-Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:06 pm

cdiedrich you mean 2.4GHz Basebox2 will do using omni directional antenna, no 8dbi antennas. 2.4GHz will cover more large area and penetrate brick walls easily.

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:20 am

I'm pretty sure a BaseBox2 will do.
It's worth a try with "small" omnis.
In case it won't satisfy your needs, you can still go for antennas with higher gain (and probably lower TX power).
In most cases the problem is not TX power but RX sensitivity - ordinary wireless clients don't have 1000mW TX ;-)

Cheers
-Chris

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm pretty sure a BaseBox2 will do.
It's worth a try with "small" omnis.
In case it won't satisfy your needs, you can still go for antennas with higher gain (and probably lower TX power).
In most cases the problem is not TX power but RX sensitivity - ordinary wireless clients don't have 1000mW TX ;-)

Cheers
-Chris
you mean start with 8db antenna or higher image i posted above...

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Using high gain antennas will not solve anything.
Antennas increase their gain by channeling RF power on desired directions while reducing it on others.
This works if you have an intended target area, but since you need omnidirectional coverage, this is not needed.

Go with low gain antennas, ideally mounted at 90 degrees angle between them, so that no area of interest is pointed by both antennas with their tip, and try to put the access point as possible in the middle of the building. I would even chose a 951G-2hnd with internal antennas for this...

A second option I used with success at my home is to put a dual polarity panel antenna in the attic, pointing downwards to the building, ensuring good coverage on 2 floors below, 150 sq. m. each.

tushar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:30 pm

Antennas increase their gain by channeling RF power on desired directions while reducing it on others.
This works if you have an intended target area, but since you need omnidirectional coverage, this is not needed.

Go with low gain antennas, ideally mounted at 90 degrees angle between them, so that no area of interest is pointed by both antennas with their tip, and try to put the access point as possible in the middle of the building. I would even chose a 951G-2hnd with internal antennas for this...

A second option I used with success at my home is to put a dual polarity panel antenna in the attic, pointing downwards to the building, ensuring good coverage on 2 floors below, 150 sq. m. each.
im going to attach basebox2 with my switch to make wireless wifi home for all handheld device like mobiles laptops etc (as we know basebox2 is POE device easy to install just attach basebox to any switch and make it power full wifi switch much better then yours linksys devices) for desktop i prefer wired.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:50 pm

im going to attach basebox2 with my switch to make wireless wifi home for all handheld device like mobiles laptops etc (as we know basebox2 is POE device easy to install just attach basebox to any switch and make it power full wifi switch much better then yours linksys devices) for desktop i prefer wired.
Remember it's a two way communication? So no point in having high power AP where say, the mobile devices can receive wireless signal but the AP cannot pick up the replies from the mobile devices but maybe from a laptop,

I would first setup a WiFi router in a central location and using freely available WiFi apps check signal level and channel usage in all parts of the home, the results will give you a working platform from which a solution can be found.